All theatre students interested in performance, and all freshmen and recent transfers, are required to audition for the regular main stage productions.
So, what do you need to prepare for the auditions?
- Read the plays and prepare for the audition thoroughly, which means practice!
- What we find important in an audition is that the student actor is prepared and memorized. We like to see that you cared enough to prepare in advance.
- We are also looking for actors who are willing to take a risk or make specific choices, and who are willing to experiment with various directions/options—whether “right or wrong” for the character.
- Be open, creative and flexible.
- You might consider meeting with the faculty director to see what they are looking for in the role. Dress for the audition and arrive early!
Auditions take place at the beginning of each semester. The core requirements are two (2) contrasting monologues not exceeding a total of two (2) minutes. Specific and additional audition requirements are outlined at the beginning of each semester, the dates and audition requirements will be posted on the Department Callboard.
This course is only open to students who have been cast on the main stage, or with departmentally approved projects.
All students cast must be enrolled.
Students cannot register for the course without departmental approval.
TH 112 – 1 credit hour course
- Freshman fall and spring for a total of 2 credit hours
- Sophomore fall and spring for a total of 2 credit hours
- Junior fall and spring for a total of 2 credit hours
- Senior fall and spring for a total of 2 credit hours
TH 212 – 1 credit hour course
TH 312 – 1 credit hour course
TH412 – 1 credit hour course
Acting and directing courses
The entry level, core acting course (TH 135) and Beginning Directing (TH 352) are open to all majors and minors as they are a part of the core requirement for all students.
Beyond Acting I and Directing I, all students must audition of interview in order to be admitted into the course.
Check the Callboard for audition and interview details.