Instructional Leadership, emphasis: K-12 School Leadership (MEd)
Students sitting in a common area overlooking one persons laptop.

Consortium agreements at NAU

What they are and how they can help you

By completing a consortium agreement, an undergraduate student can:

  1. attend both NAU and another accredited higher education institution (including a community college) at the same time; AND
  2. receive federal financial aid at NAU to help cover costs at both schools

Types of consortium agreements

A consortium agreement does not change the types of financial aid offered to students, but can increase the amount of a Pell Grant.

How to submit an NAU as parent school consortium agreement

Once a student completes and signs the consortium agreement, the student must submit the completed agreement to

  • Incomplete forms will be returned to the student for completion.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the proper signatures from the non-parent school’s financial aid office.
  • Students who are in the 90/30 program are responsible for obtaining signature from their 90/30 instructors or program advisors.
  • The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will work with the Admissions Office to obtain the signatures on the Admissions section of the form.


To ensure the consortium agreement is processed before financial aid disbursement, submit the completed consortium agreement by the following Priority Deadlines:

  • Fall: Aug. 1
  • Spring: Dec. 1
  • Summer: May 1

The final deadline to submit a consortium agreement is 7 days prior to the NAU 100% tuition refund date.

Additional information

Learn more about the different types of consortium agreements and which one is right for you:

  • Students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours at NAU or at another institution are not eligible for a consortium agreement, as they are already receiving the full amount of financial aid allowed.
  • Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours at NAU and less than full-time at the non-parent school.
  • Students receiving Tuition Scholarships will only have their Tuition Scholarship apply to approved charges for NAU credits. For example, if a student is enrolled in six credits at NAU and six credits at the non-parent school, their scholarship will only be applicable to the charges on the student’s NAU account.
  • Students must be eligible for financial aid and must either meet NAU Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards or be on SAP Probation status.
  • Non-parent school courses must be transferable to NAU and approved by NAU Admissions and Enrollment Services.
  • Non-parent school courses must not be repeat courses.
  • Students seeking a consortium agreement may have no more than 64 transfer credits, with the exception of students enrolled in one of the following programs: 90/30 Interdisciplinary Studies, RN/BSN program, Dental Hygiene program, or other NAU programs that allow more than 64 credits to be transferred toward an NAU degree. There is no transfer limit for students taking their non-parent courses at Arizona Western College.
  • Consideration of special circumstances may be granted on a case-by-case basis.

  • Students withdrawing from their courses are required to provide a written statement to both NAU’s Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid as well as the non-parent school detailing their withdrawal decision.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to be prepared to pay their tuition, fees, and books at the non-parent institution using their own funding resources or by payment plan at the non-parent institution. Once financial aid is disbursed by NAU to the student, it is the student’s responsibility to use financial aid refunds (if any) to pay the non-parent institution. NAU does not send payment to the non-parent institution.
    • Student is required to submit an official transcript from the non-parent school to the NAU University Admissions at the end of the semester for which the agreement is approved. Courses taken at the non-parent school will not be transferred to the student’s NAU record until the official transcript has been received and evaluated.
    • Contact your non-parent school to determine how to obtain an official transcript, as well as any costs involved with obtaining the transcript.
    • Approval of future consortium agreements may be delayed until your transcripts are received and posted to your NAU Official Transcript.