Center for International EducationThe university's Center for International Education can provide more information on studying abroad.
Australia exchange program
Broadening the horizons for students in NAU forestry programs
The Australia/U.S. International Student, Staff, and Faculty Exchange is a cooperative agreement between Southern Cross University School of Environmental Science Management and Northern Arizona University School of Forestry. Undergraduate education is trending towards internationalizing curricula, and it is widely suggested that students with international experience have better forestry job opportunities and maintain a life-long interest in global affairs.
In 2004, Southern Cross University (SCU), New South Wales, Australia, and Northern Arizona University (NAU), Flagstaff, Arizona, signed a student, staff, and faculty exchange agreement to achieve a mutually beneficial broadening of perspective about issues in our respective countries. Since both SCU and NAU have forestry programs, it seemed natural for our faculties to use the exchange agreement as an opportunity to internationalize aspects of our forestry teaching.
Exchange agreement elements Accordion Closed
- student, staff, faculty exchange
- equity of support between institutions
- annual selection and nomination by each institution
- student pays: travel cost, room, and board, medical insurance, passport/visa, course fees at their resident institution
- student pays: tuition to home institution
- student employment
- at NAU- Australian students can work for NAU up to 20 hours/week
- at SCU- US students can work any job up to 20 hours/week
- faculty/staff retain host salary
- faculty teaching/workloads are negotiable
Challenges Accordion Closed
- willingness to accept credits from other institution
- faculty enthusiasm/support for exchange
- variation in semester schedule between institutions
- lack of consistent information provided to students
- higher advising needs to students in the exchange program
- cost of international travel
- SCU and NAU Course Sequence Model