Forest Health and Ecological Restoration, Undergraduate Certificate
Requirements Accordion Open
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this certificate, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the primary insects, pathogens, invasive species, and abiotic factors that affect the health of North American forests.
- An ability to assess current ecological restoration issues and practices in ecosystems that span the major vegetation types and elevational zones of southwestern highlands.
- An understanding of how natural and human-caused disturbances of forest ecosystems affect tree health, forest health, and prospects for ecological restoration.
- An understanding of various methods and approaches to improving forest health and restoring ecosystems, including quantitative methods to collect original ecological data and on-the-ground management methods.
- An understanding of the philosophical, historical, legal, ecological, social and cultural aspects of land management and how that relates to forest health and ecological restoration.
- An ability to participate constructively in thoughtful discussions with peers, scientists and restoration professionals about a broad spectrum of restoration-related issues.
Details Accordion Closed
- Take the following 15 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Select 2 courses from one of the following tracks:
A minimum of 9 units of coursework must be taken at Northern Arizona University.
A minimum of 9 units of upper-division coursework is required.
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
- insect infestations
- severe wildfires
- restoration of forest health