Forest Health and Ecological Restoration, Undergraduate Certificate
University Requirements Tab Open
Overview Tab Closed
Details Tab Closed
Campus Availability Tab Closed
University Requirements Accordion Open
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this certificate, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the primary insects, pathogens, invasive species, and abiotic factors that affect the health of North American forests.
- An ability to assess current ecological restoration issues and practices in ecosystems that span the major vegetation types and elevational zones of southwestern highlands.
- An understanding of how natural and human-caused disturbances of forest ecosystems affect tree health, forest health, and prospects for ecological restoration.
- An understanding of various methods and approaches to improving forest health and restoring ecosystems, including quantitative methods to collect original ecological data and on-the-ground management methods.
- An understanding of the philosophical, historical, legal, ecological, social and cultural aspects of land management and how that relates to forest health and ecological restoration.
- An ability to participate constructively in thoughtful discussions with peers, scientists and restoration professionals about a broad spectrum of restoration-related issues.
Details Accordion Closed
Take the following 15 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Select 2 courses from one of the following tracks:
A minimum of 9 units of coursework must be taken at Northern Arizona University.
A minimum of 9 units of upper-division coursework is required.
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
- insect infestations
- severe wildfires
- restoration of forest health