Fire Ecology and Management, Undergraduate Certificate
University Requirements Tab Open
Overview Tab Closed
Details Tab Closed
Campus Availability Tab Closed
University Requirements Accordion Open
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this certificate, students will have:
- An understanding of the physical process of fire and factors that influence surface and crown fire spread, extreme fire behavior and what fire danger rating is.
- An understanding and the basic use of terminology and fire models used in fire management
- An understanding of fire regimes and fire effects in a variety of ecological systems
- An understanding of the philosophical, historical, legal, ecological, social and cultural aspects of land management and how that relates to fire management.
- An understanding of monitoring, the adaptive management process, and the components of a monitoring program.
- An understanding of sampling, variation, standard deviation, p-values and hypothesis testing
- An understanding of different types of experiments, independence, confounding factors and the basics of experimental design
- An understanding of different sampling methods and different federal fire monitoring programs
Details Accordion Closed
Take at least 15 units from the following with a Grade of "C" or better in each course (or "Pass" in Pass/Fail courses):
Introductory Course (3 Units)
- FOR 251 This requirement may be waived for students with 4 or more seasons of professional wildland fire experience.
In addition, all students must complete one course from each of the following blocks:
Ecology, Select One (3 units):
* Prerequisite: enrollment in Forestry Federal Agency Training Group Status (FFAT)
** Forestry Majors may not use FOR 360 to fulfill the Management, Planning, and Policy Block.
A minimum of 9 units of coursework must be taken at Northern Arizona University.
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.