NAU Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal process
Students may appeal their SAP status relating to scholarships and financial aid
Students may submit an appeal for any of the three Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. The appeal form and all required documentation should be submitted to NAU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at the same time to avoid delays in processing. Allow up to 25 business days to receive a decision via NAU email. Submission of an appeal is not a guarantee of approval and/or reinstatement of financial aid eligibility.
- Online SAP Appeal Form
- Electronic Personal Statement Form
- SAP Academic Plan Form – (Mandatory for Maximum Timeframe Appeals)
Required documentation for SAP Appeal submission:
Pace of Progress and Cumulative GPA: (1) personal statement and (2) supporting documentation (professional third-party such as a letter from a physician, police report, or any other professional statement that specifies date range and illness/injury, etc.)
Maximum Timeframe: (1) personal statement and (2) SAP Academic Plan (https://nau.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/SAP-Academic-Plan.pdf)
Please direct any questions regarding student SAP status and SAP appeal questions to our office for further assistance.
The deadlines to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal to regain financial aid eligibility for each term are:
- Fall – November 1
- Spring – April 1
- Summer – July 1
The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid is implementing changes to our internal SAP Appeal Workflow, effective for the spring 2024 term.
Please Note: The deadline to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Form for the fall 2023 term is November 1, 2023. Access to the online SAP Appeal Form will be disabled after November 1, 2023, as we transition to a new SAP Appeal Workflow for the spring 2024 term. Any appeals submitted by this date will be evaluated and a determination will be made within the next 15 business days
The online SAP Appeal Form will re-open on January 5, 2024, for the spring 2024 term. Students who need to submit a SAP Appeal after November 1, 2023, may take the time during this transition period to gather the required documentation to submit a SAP Appeal for the spring 2024 term when it re-opens.
Financial aid SAP suspension does not automatically withdraw students from the university or prevent them from enrolling in courses. Contact the Office of the Registrar for information on an official withdrawal from NAU.
Satisfactory Academic Progress Probation
If an SAP Appeal is approved, students are considered to be on SAP Probation, wherein certain conditions must be met to maintain financial aid eligibility. These conditions will be documented in the decision emailed to each student. Probation statuses and consequences are:
- Probation – NAU student is required to meet specific probation conditions and progress will be reviewed at the end of each semester. If conditions are not met, financial aid for the upcoming semester will be canceled and the student will be placed on SAP Suspension.
- Exceptions Failed – NAU student failed to meet probation conditions and is again ineligible for financial aid. The student can appeal again for reconsideration, but only if his/her circumstances have changed since the original appeal.
- Last Eligible Term – This is an NAU student’s last eligible term to receive financial aid based upon probation conditions unless his/her academic career changes from undergraduate to graduate.