Get Started on the Writing:
- Research the Award and the Sponsor/Organization. As you begin to write, use “their” language.
- Read through the Application several times.
- Print the Application and highlight the key points in all the prompts.
- For each prompt:
- Storyboard. Use sticky notes on your wall for key words/phrases for examples that illustrate the answers to the prompts. Move them around to see what story fits best in which prompt.
- Free Write your answers to each prompt. Don’t leave any story out. Write more now; Cut down later.
- Reverse Outline. Pick out the key points from your Free Writes and create an outline that distills your essay’s ”frame”:
- Hook. Grab the readers’ attention.
- Examples. Specific and relatable.
- Closer. Summarize your main point.
- Create a Unifying Theme throughout the application that describes you and your proposed project/study.