Department of History
Accelerated MA program 4 + 1
You may be eligible the history department’s new accelerated MA program. It permits highly motivated history majors to complete both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in five years. Possession of an MA will better prepare you to excel in your chosen career and/or any area of further advanced academic study.
Please note that this is a challenging program for outstanding students who enjoy learning at an accelerated pace. Specifically, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Completed at least of 60 credit-hours with at least 30 of those credit-hours at NAU
- Achieved a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.5
- Completed at least 4 history classes (12 credit-hours), two of which must be upper-division
- Earned a GPA of at least 3.5 in history classes thus far.
There is no application fee. We only ask that you provide:
- A pdf of your unofficial transcripts;
- A short personal statement (2-3 pages) that describes your goals in joining the accelerated MA program;
- Three faculty recommendations, two of which must be from NAU history department faculty. Faculty may email their recommendations to Michael.Amundson@nau.edu
More information about the History MA program can be found on the department website https://nau.edu/history-department/graduate-degrees/history-ma/.
For more information about the 4+1 MA program, please contact the History Department Director of Graduate Studies, Michael Amundson at Michael.Amundson@nau.edu.