College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
A community of change-makers at Northern Arizona University
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) includes diverse academic programs living under our umbrella, each threaded together by a shared mission. This unique configuration of programs supports innovative, boundary crossing research and provides distinctive experiential learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students.
We offer a wide array of social science and related professional degree programs that prepare students to be leaders and innovators in their communities and professions. The college utilizes a dynamic, immersive curriculum that prepares graduates for a world and workforce in which communication, diversity and critical thinking are essential. We are committed to:
- promoting the appreciation and importance of diversity
- advocating for the importance of community
- stressing the importance of sustainability and environmental issues
- exploring issues of justice and power
- developing global perspectives
- fostering active engagement, advocacy, and applied learning
Explore our degrees
Our departments and programs: 13 paths to making a difference
For more information, visit our Departments and Programs page.
- Applied Indigenous Studies
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Ethnic Studies
- Geography, Planning, and Recreation
- Politics and International Affairs
- Psychological Sciences
- Social Work
- Sustainable Communities
- University Studies
- Women’s and Gender Studies
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences has a number of institutes which link the university to the community through service opportunities, hosting events, workshops, and promoting globally effective research. Visit the institute web page to learn more.
Advising? Enrollment? Graduation? We’ve got you covered. Check out our student resources to get started.