Please visit our Important Dates calendar for Fall 2019 Information
Learn the English language
The Program in Intensive English (PIE) is a full-time program for non-native English speakers, with a focus on improving the English proficiency and academic preparedness of international students.
Our program increases academic English skills in the areas of reading, writing, listening, and speaking. International students who complete this program are prepared to begin taking university classes.
Almost all PIE students are conditionally admitted to Northern Arizona University.
Learn Accordion Open
PIE helps three types of students:
- Degree-seeking students who have not met NAU English language requirements
- Language study (full-time)
- Language support (part-time)
- Non-degree-seeking students who wish to study English as a Second Language
- Groups of students who want a short-term program of study
Teach Accordion Closed
The PIE benefits greatly from our accomplished instructional staff. Our instructional staff consists of three groups: Full-time Instructors and Lecturers, who hold MA degrees in the field of TESL; Graduate Teaching Assistants in NAU’s PhD in Applied Linguistics programs; and part-time faculty.
Key dates Accordion Closed
- August 19: 8 a.m. Placement test
- August 26: Fall classes begin
- September 2: Labor Day, no classes
- October 21: Achievement tests 1
- October 22: No classes
- November 28-29: Thanksgiving break
- December 6: Last day of classes
- December 9: Exit test