AmeriCorps at NAU
Qualifying NAU service members can earn an award to pay education expenses
AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service. Service members work for local and national nonprofit groups to provide assistance to millions of Americans. Members who complete their term of national service in an approved AmeriCorps program earn an AmeriCorps Segal Education Award.
As a qualifying member, you can use your education award to pay for current education expenses, non-credit-earning classes or activities, or to pay back qualified student loans. Your award amount is based on the length of your service term.
Receiving your AmeriCorps award
- Log in at my.americorps.gov.
- Select “Segal Education Award Request”, enter NAU’s information, the specific term, the specific year, and the amount you would like use for the term.
- If you are requesting a loan payment or forbearance, you must contact your loan provider. NAU is not your loan provider.
- Once the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid receives your AmeriCorps certification request, the award will be certified.
- In order for the award to be certified, you must be currently enrolled, or have been enrolled in the past semester, for which you are requesting your award.
- Your award may be denied or reduced if your total aid is more than your Cost of Attendance.
- After the award is certified, the certification is sent to AmeriCorps electronically.
- Upon receipt of the certification from NAU, AmeriCorps will send 50% of the certified AmeriCorps award to NAU within 14 business days after your classes begin.
- AmeriCorps will send the remaining 50% of the certified AmeriCorps award 14 days after NAU’s tuition refund deadline.
- Once the NAU Bursar’s Office receives the payment from AmeriCorps, the payment is forwarded to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for processing.
- Processing can take 7 to 10 business days.
- You may log into LOUIE to view your award.
- Please be advised that you are responsible for paying all charges, including tuition and fees, before the tuition payment deadline. If tuition and fees are not paid by the tuition payment deadline, you will be automatically placed on a payment plan, which involves an additional Payment Plan Processing Fee. This fee will not be waived.
- If you pay your tuition and fees before the tuition deadline, and all other charges, on your LOUIE account, the AmeriCorps award will be refunded to you once it is received.
- If there are any other remaining charges on your account, the AmeriCorps award will be applied to the remaining charges, and if any funds are remaining, the remaining funds will be refunded to you.
Non-credit opportunities at NAU include:
*To utilize an AmeriCorps award for these programs, please contact the above program directly.
**Students who wish to utilize AmeriCorps awards for the Park Ranger Training Program as non-credit must follow the steps below:
- Student will need to go to the AmeriCorps Website and login.
- When requesting AmeriCorps funds, do not select NAU as the institution.
- In the Institution / Organization field, manually enter the name and address of the Park Ranger Program.
- Contact the Park Ranger Training Program for this information, if needed.
- If help is needed in completing the form, contact the AmeriCorps Hotline at 1-800-942-2677.
- Once AmeriCorps receives the request, AmeriCorps will send a payment voucher / paper check to the Park Ranger Program.
Contact the NAU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid if you have questions about your AmeriCorps award. We encourage you to contact us if you are considering dropping your classes; you might be required to return a portion of your award.