PRM Mission, vision, and values
The Parks & Recreation Management Department at NAU Sets High Expectations
Learn about the mission, vision, and values upheld within the GPR department at Northern Arizona University.
Parks and Recreation Management Program Mission Statement:
The NAU Parks and Recreation Management faculty, staff, and students are committed to successful professional careers, service-learning, active healthy lifestyles, life-long education, global awareness, and creating meaningful social connections between individuals and their surrounding environment.
- Success as Professionals: We believe in equipping our students with essential entry-level professional skills which lead to successful careers in parks, recreation, tourism, or related organizations.
- Service Learning: Integrating teaching and learning experiences through meaningful community service focusing on civic responsibility and strengthening communities.
- Global Awareness: We believe in creating opportunities, awareness and experiences focused on diversity, international travel, and education.
- Life-Long Education: We believe individuals who continually engage in new recreation and leisure experiences learn new skills, gain valuable knowledge, and help promote positive aspects of human existence.
- Connection to others and the Environment: We believe that the human condition of compassion for others and the surrounding environment can be fostered and supported through participation in leisure activities which raise awareness of overall inter-connectedness and thereby creating a more sustainable future.
- Healthy Lifestyles: We believe that involvement in leisure and recreation activities leads to decision making for better balanced healthy lifestyles, effectively lowering illness (both physical and psychological), and allows people to live more rewarding and fulfilled lives.
The NAU Parks and Recreation Management program is dedicated to creating a student-centered environment by providing a unique personalized and engaged campus and online education, scholarly activity, and experientially based opportunities for community and professional service.
- Excellence in Education – Offer a rigorous, high-quality education to all students
- Student Success – Place learner needs at the center of our academic and service planning, policies, and programs
- Educational Access – Provide all qualified students with access to higher education
- Diversity – Achieve multicultural understanding as a priority of educational and civic engagements
- Integrity – Operate with fairness, honesty, and the highest ethical standards to sustain a community of trust
- Civility – Support a civil, engaging, and respectful, inclusive campus climate
Parks and Recreation Management Program Relation to Flagstaff and Northern Arizona:
The Parks and Recreation Management program of NAU is tied to the Flagstaff region through both the surrounding environment and the Arizona economy. The Flagstaff location is uniquely situated to provide an outstanding learning laboratory for Arizona’s future recreation providers, outdoor leaders, outdoor educators, and park rangers.
Furthermore, the Flagstaff area models the economy of Arizona which is driven by tourism. The close relationship between park and recreation provision and tourism allows the program to train students who are cognizant of the importance of recreation to the people of an area for both personal benefits and economic gain and the constraints to recreation development related to environmental concerns.