Create your own path
Prepare for a career in publishing, teaching, technical writing—any job that requires critical thinking and the ability to clearly communicate for persuasion, information, or entertainment.
The NAU English Department faculty are widely published and internationally known in their fields of study. They serve as accessible mentors who will help you develop skills to connect with, listen to, and in sequence the world on the path you choose.
Employers across the board—from publishing and tech to law and medicine and beyond—consistently cite effective communication as one of their most highly prized skills in an employee. Earn your degree in a vibrant mountain town at a school that feels like a small liberal arts college while offering all the perks of a globally connected university. An NAU English degree is your gateway to a world of boundless career possibilities.
Tailor your educational experience
Our small class sizes and wide-ranging courses offer many theoretical and practical options. From linguistics and rhetoric to creative and professional writing and literary topics from many sociocultural and historical contexts, we give you the opportunity to harness the power of language.
Our academic plans are especially beneficial to:
- working professionals
- K-12 teachers
- community college adjunct faculty
- students preparing for a PhD program
Live and learn with other English students in one of the following freshman learning communities:
- Language Lair Learning Community
- College of Arts and Letters’ Secondary Education Learning Community
- University Writing Commons—We offer one-on-one assistance with any writing project at no charge.
- Sigma Tau Delta—An honor society for English students.
- Publications—Students have the opportunity to publish writing in all genres through Thin Air Magazine, The Tunnels literary magazine, and The Lumberjack newspaper.
- Be inspired by the culturally and historically rich stories of the people and landscapes of Flagstaff, Sedona, and Native America.
Internships and professional writing opportunities abound, both on and off campus, and you can take part in NAU’s study-abroad program, which is ranked in the top eight most innovative in the nation by the Institute of International Education.