Scholarship application instructions
Helpful information for College of Education students at NAU
The following instructions are critical to successfully completing the Northern Arizona University College of Education scholarship application. Once you have read the information below, proceed to the bottom of the page to move forward to the application.
Please read before filling out the application
Important: You only need to fill out one application to be considered for all of the College of Education Scholarships at NAU (review the list of scholarships). This application does not qualify you for foundation scholarships or other scholarships offered by the university.
Important: New FAFSA requirements. Please see the FAFSA section below.
Scholarship application steps and instructions:
Step 1: student data
This is basic information about you that will automatically populate based on the information you have provided to the Registrar’s Office and on your Financial Aid form. You are responsible for reviewing this information to be sure it is correct. If you notice any incorrect or blank fields, please log in to LOUIE and make changes/corrections. If you see information that cannot be changed via LOUIE, please contact us by email.
Step 2: additional data required
This step contains some additional questions relevant to the scholarship application that you are required to answer.
Step 3: written portion
We suggest you create and save your information in a Word document before opening the application, then cut and paste into the online application.
- Honors and awards: list any honors or awards you have received with the date you received them (example: Dean’s List, National Honor Society, etc.)
- Extracurricular activities: report any relevant activities, including organizational memberships, with dates active (example: high school and college clubs, organizations and offices held, sports, cheer, choir, band, etc.)
- Volunteer activities/community service with dates active (example: church or other religious affiliation activities, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, youth groups, coaching, etc.)
- Employment: please include name of employer, job title, responsibilities, length of employment, and indicate whether full time or part time
- Student letter: this student letter is a critical component of your application, and your letter should include the following information:
- explain why you are attending college
- describe your career goals and aspirations
- describe how a monetary award for college expenses will help you attain your goals
- provide other pertinent information related to specific scholarship criteria
- you are not applying for a specific scholarship, however, if you have particular circumstances that qualify you for a scholarship (such as graduation from a particular high school, plans to student teach in a certain geographic area, or are a member of a particular tribe), this would be very helpful information to include in your letter. Please be aware that if your letter is not well written, includes spelling and/or grammatical errors, or lacks substance, the review of your application will be negatively impacted. It is expected that you will provide a professional, well written letter that is approximately one page in length (approx. 450 words minimum/500 words maximum)
- copying and pasting your “why I want to be a teacher” letter from a PEU admission application would not meet the criteria for this letter
- IMPORTANT: scholarships are awarded anonymously – DO NOT sign your letter
Step 4: review and verify
At this point you will be able to see the state of your whole application. Please review your application very carefully. If you notice any incorrect or blank fields, you can return to that portion of the application and make any changes you would like. If your application looks complete and correct, you will verify this and move on to the next step. If you are unable to submit, this means that you have incomplete fields somewhere in the application.
Step 5: submit and confirmation
This is the point where you actually submit your application. Applications that have been submitted cannot be changed. Once you have submitted your application successfully, you will receive an email confirmation stating that your application has been received. It is your responsibility to save this confirmation email.
Don’t forget your FAFSA!
To be considered for ALL COLLEGE OF EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIPS, you must have a current FAFSA on file for the next academic year BY APRIL 1ST.
If you are an international student submitting a scholarship application to Northern Arizona University’s COE, the FAFSA, which is a federal form, is not available to you for completion. However, you will have an opportunity to submit a statement indicating financial need along with your application.
Want to submit a more successful application?
The COE will be offering one-on-one mentoring and assistance with completing your application beginning in January. Please email us for more information.
Scholarship award reception
Northern Arizona University’s College of Education hosts a reception in September for both the scholarship award recipients and the scholarship donors. We depend on these donors to keep NAU’s COE scholarship program growing each year and this is a unique experience for donors to meet and get to know the students that they generously support. It is expected that all scholarship recipients attend this reception.
By asking to be considered for COE scholarships you are giving your consent for Northern Arizona University to release your personal information to donors who will be considering you for scholarships. This includes, but is not limited to, your application information (resume, letter, etc.), GPA, year in school, financial need, major, etc. Also, should you be selected to receive a scholarship, the donor may request updates of your progress at NAU including GPA, classes taken, financial need, etc. Only donors seriously considering you for scholarships and approved by the NAU Scholarship Office may have access to this information and no information will be provided to any other outside sources.
Contact COE Scholarship Office
The 2019-2020 COE Scholarships Application is now closed. Applicants can expect to hear from the Scholarships Committee regarding whether they were selected for an award in early-to-mid-June 2019.
The 2020-2021 application will open in January 2020.
Need answers? Please visit our scholarship FAQ page.
Still need more money?
Research NAU scholarships.