Scholarship application instructions
Helpful information for College of Education students at NAUThe following instructions are critical to successfully completing the Northern Arizona University College of Education scholarship application. Once you have read the information below, proceed to the bottom of the page to move forward to the application.
Please read before filling out the applicationImportant: You only need to fill out one application to be considered for all of the College of Education Scholarships at NAU (review the list of scholarships). This application does not qualify you for foundation scholarships or other scholarships offered by the university.Important: New FAFSA requirements. Please see the FAFSA section below.
Scholarship application steps and instructions:
Step 1: student dataThis is basic information about you that will automatically populate based on the information you have provided to the Registrar's Office and on your Financial Aid form. You are responsible for reviewing this information to be sure it is correct. If you notice any incorrect or blank fields, please log in to LOUIE and make changes/corrections. If you see information that cannot be changed via LOUIE, please contact us by email.
Step 2: additional data requiredThis step contains some additional questions relevant to the scholarship application that you are required to answer.
Step 3: written portionWe suggest you create and save your information in a Word document before opening the application, then cut and paste into the online application.
- Honors and awards: list any honors or awards you have received with the date you received them (example: Dean’s List, National Honor Society, etc.)
- Extracurricular activities: report any relevant activities, including organizational memberships, with dates active (example: high school and college clubs, organizations and offices held, sports, cheer, choir, band, etc.)
- Volunteer activities/community service with dates active (example: church or other religious affiliation activities, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, youth groups, coaching, etc.)
- Employment: please include name of employer, job title, responsibilities, length of employment, and indicate whether full time or part time
- Student letter: this student letter is a critical component of your application, and your letter should include the following information:
- explain why you are attending college
- describe your career goals and aspirations
- describe how a monetary award for college expenses will help you attain your goals
- provide other pertinent information related to specific scholarship criteria
- you are not applying for a specific scholarship, however, if you have particular circumstances that qualify you for a scholarship (such as graduation from a particular high school, plans to student teach in a certain geographic area, or are a member of a particular tribe), this would be very helpful information to include in your letter. Please be aware that if your letter is not well written, includes spelling and/or grammatical errors, or lacks substance, the review of your application will be negatively impacted. It is expected that you will provide a professional, well written letter that is approximately one page in length (approx. 450 words minimum/500 words maximum)
- copying and pasting your “why I want to be a teacher” letter from a PEU admission application would not meet the criteria for this letter
- IMPORTANT: scholarships are awarded anonymously - DO NOT sign your letter