Museum Studies, Minor
This minor pairs well with majors in Studio Art, Interior Design, History, Comparative Cultural Studies, Anthropology, or even a science. You will be exposed to theory and practice in the study of museums, and become prepared for graduate work in museum studies and a profession in a museum, gallery, auction house, etc.
Do you love museums? Have you always thought you might want to work in one? This minor offers students the opportunity to explore careers in a quickly expanding and exciting field. Courses cover museum history and tasks museum professionals perform, and internships offer hands-on, real-world experiences.
Requirements Accordion Open
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
The purpose of the MST minor is to give students the opportunity to explore careers in the quickly expanding and exciting field of museum studies. Courses cover museum history and tasks museum professionals perform, and internships offer hands-on, real-world experiences. Through their exposure to both theory and practice, students become prepared for graduate work in museum studies and a profession in a museum, gallery, auction house, etc. Students explore a wide range of content, including the history of the museum and major issues within the museum world, such as art theft and forgery, repatriation between institutions and nations, and theories regarding practices of collecting art and artifacts. Students will also examine various types of institutions, ranging from 19th century collections of curiosities to large universal survey museums, as well as small museums devoted to local history and culture. Students will engage in active learning through class discussions, visits to museums, presentations, assignments, and projects. They will develop skills in museum practice and the ability to write and speak effectively about complex museological concepts.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the MST minor will demonstrate and/or gain:
- an understanding of the history and functions of various types of museums
- an understanding of key areas of museum practice, to include curatorship, cultural property law and associated practices, museum education, audience development, archives management, conservation and preservation
- the key features of museum professionalism, to include professional standards and ethics, professional societies and organizations, and career development resources
Details Accordion Closed
Take the following 18 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course, with at least 9 units taken at NAU:
Select additional coursework in consultation with your minor advisor (6 units):
- AIS 201, AIS 232, AIS 460
- ANT 205, ANT 250, ANT 351, ANT 365, ANT 407C
- ARH 141, ARH 142, ARH 143, ARH 145, ARH 220, ARH 252, ARH 257, ARH 269, ARH 270, ARH 335, ARH 340, ARH 341, ARH 342, ARH 343, ARH 344, ARH 346, ARH 347, ARH 351, ARH 353, ARH 355, ARH 356, ARH 361, ARH 370, ARH 380, ARH 440
- ART 122, ART 150, ART 151
- ASN 408, ASN 497
- CMF 106
- ENG 302W
- HIS 100, HIS 102, HIS 221, HIS 230, HIS 231, HIS 240, HIS 241, HIS 249, HIS 250, HIS 251, HIS 270, HIS 280, HIS 281, HIS 291, HIS 292, HIS 293, HIS 502
- HUM 195, HUM 362, HUM 395
- ID 110
- LAS 365, LAS 381
- STR 131
- MGT 303
- MKT 303
- MST 408, MST 497
- PHI 355
- PHO 100
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.