Sanjam Ahluwalia, Ph.D., Associate Professor, History & Women's and Gender Studies
- Awarded the "President's Distinguished Teaching Fellow for 2017-2020".
- Appointed Book Editor
for the Journal of Asian Studies, the
premier journal in the field.
- Received 2015 Provost Award for Faculty
Excellence in Global Learning.
- Received NAU grant for course redesign for World
History with colleague Ana Varela-Lago.
- Published "Rearranging Sex,
Pleasure, and Intimacy: Sexology and the Global Governance of Sexuality
from 20th Century Bombay, 1930s-1950s" in _NAU Global_ Spring
- Sabbatical Presentation: "Tyranny of Orgasm." Women's and
Gender Studies and Department of History; Northern Arizona University, April,
Arianne Burford, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer, Women’s and Gender Studies
- Winner of the "Faculty Diversity Award" from the LGBTQIA Commission.
- Presenting chapter two of manuscript from their memoir at "Writing by Writers" Workshop in Tomales Bay, CA and working directly with Dorothy Allison. October 21-25, 2015.
- Attendee at "Black Life Matters" Conference in Tucson, AZ. January 17-19th, 2015.
- Presented a paper titled "Epistemologies of Love and Genealogies of Violence in Queer Crip Time" at the National Women's Studies Association conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico, November 13-16 2014.
- Attending the "Writing the Body II" workshop with Lidia
Yuknavitch September 4th-7th, 2015.
Meredith Heller, Ph.D., Lecturer, Women's and Gender Studies
- Workshop Co-organizer for the panel "Out[ed] as Activist: Intersectionality and the Asymmetrical
Stakes of Visibility" to be presented in the debility/vulnerability section of the National Women's Studies Association Conference in November 2015.
- Workshop Co-Organizer
and Facilitator for “Teaching Against the
‘Posts’: Feminist Media Pedagogy for the ‘Postfeminist,’ ‘Post-racial’ Moment”
at Console-ing Passions International Conference on
Television, Audio, Video, New Media, and Feminism. Dublin, Ireland. June 18-20, 2015.
- Guest Commentator,
“Drag Queen Asks: Is Drag Degrading to Women?” AirTalk, National Public Radio
Affiliate KPCC, Los Angeles, CA, February 18, 2015. http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2015/02/19/41630/drag-queen-asks-is-drag-degrading-to-women/
Sheila Nair, Ph.D., Director of Women's and Gender Studies and Professor, Politics and International Affairs
- Presented Paper, "Traveling Theory and Worlding IR: Vietnam in the Transnational Imaginary," at the 7th Engaging with Vietnam Conference and the 1st Vietnam-US Higher Education Forum, 7-8 July 2015, Hanoi, Vietnam.Published the article “Women of Color Faculty and the 'Burden' of Diversity,” International Feminist Journal of Politics, vol. 16:3, 2014.
- Moderated Panel, “Vietnamese and their (Imagined) Others” at the 7th Engaging with Vietnam Conference and the 1st Vietnam-US Higher Education Forum, 7-8 July 2015, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Attended National Women's Studies Association (NWSA) Annual Conference and the pre-conference NWSA Leadership and Administation in San Juan, Puerto Rico November 13-16, 2014.
- Convener and Chair.
“Postcolonialism, Feminism And Global International Relations: Remembering The
Legacy Of Geeta Chowdhry,” International Studies Association’s 56th Annual
Convention, 18 – 21 February 2015, New Orleans, Louisiana.
“Debating Development: In Remembrance Of Geeta Chowdhry,” International Studies
Association’s 56th Annual Convention, 18 - 21 February 2015, New Orleans,
- Participant. “Presidential Theme Panel: Global
Development Distinguished Scholar Panel In Honor Of Professor Pal Ahluwalia,”
18 – 21 February 2015, New Orleans, Louisiana.
National Women’s Studies Association Conference, Feminist Transgressions,
November 13 - 16, 2014 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Dr. Nair also attended the pre-conference
program for directors.
Frances Riemer, Ph.D., Professor, Educational Foundations and Women's and Gender Studies Associate Faculty
Philippa Winkler, Ph.D., Women's and Gender Studies Part-time Teaching Faculty
- Named National Expert on the status of women in Iraq and Iran, for a 2014 report commissioned by the European Parliament.
- Published study: Winkler, Philippa.
(2014). Country Studies Iran and Iraq. In: M.
Seikaly, R. Roodsaz & C. Van Egten (eds.). The Situation of Women in the Gulf
Policy Department, Citizens' Rights and Constitutional Affairs, European
Parliament, pp 97-pp 129. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2014/509985/IPOL_STU(2014)509985_EN.pdf