By participating in undergraduate research, you are preparing yourself for post-graduation plans and gaining the experience and knowledge needed to be successful. This hands-on application of classroom knowledge offers many advantages, including:
1. Graduate and Professional School Preparation: Gain clarification and better preparation for your graduate school goals
2. Networking: Develop a close working relationship with a research team, who can later provide letters of recommendation and connect you to other opportunities
3. Career Development: Build confidence in your professional abilities and add valuable experience to your resume
4. Transferable Skills: Strengthen your written and oral communication, technical skills, critical evaluation, problem solving, information fluency, and decision-making
5. Personal Development: Develop a deep understanding of who you are and what you want to do. Learn independence in work and thought, gain greater self-confidence, and feel a sense of accomplishment
Consider a research, scholarly, or creative project – independently or as part of an existing faculty project – and prepare yourself for success after graduation.