The Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity provides funding for NAU undergraduate students or groups to present, attend, compete, or accept awards at regional, national, or international conferences.
Eligibility Accordion Open
- Travel for an individual student or student group to present their invited scholarly or creative work, to accept an award from a professional organization or academic institution, or to attend academic competitions at the regional, national, or international level.
- The applicant(s) are current undergraduates in good academic standing at the time of application and at the time of travel; students who graduate prior to travel are not eligible.
NOTE: Students may receive only one travel award per academic year (July 1 – June 30).
Graduate student travel to conferences is supported through the Graduate Student Government travel awards program. This office does not provide travel awards for graduate students.
Application Accordion Closed
- Complete applications are reviewed on the 15th of each month, for travel that occurs after the 1st of the following month (e.g., If your travel is in March, your application is due no later than February 15).
- Students are encouraged to apply for an Undergraduate Student Travel Award prior to the “early bird” registration deadline.
- Complete the online application, which includes:
- Statement of benefit to student to attend/present
- Proposed budget
- PDF copy of proof of acceptance/invitation from the sponsoring organization
- PDF copy of your current unofficial transcript confirming enrollment in the semester when travel will occur
- Group application only: PDF document listing all student participants, their email addresses, and academic status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate)
- Once you submit your application, an email request will automatically be sent to your faculty mentor requesting they complete the faculty portion of the request. The student will receive a confirmation email once the faculty mentor has submitted the form. NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the faculty sponsor completes the next steps in the process.
Funding Accordion Closed
- After processing, an award letter will be sent to applicant via email with the award amount (with cc to faculty sponsor).
- Students will be responsible for scheduling an appointment with the Office of Undergraduate Research to book travel.
- Funds may only be used to cover the following costs:
- Transportation to and from the conference (e.g., airfare, van rental, mileage)
- Conference registration fees
- Per diem for meals
- Faculty/chaperone expenses CANNOT be reimbursed by a Student Travel Award.