Northern Arizona University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre.
Take center stage with the Department of Theatre
The NAU Department of Theatre engages tomorrow’s theatre artists and professionals in a deep and broad understanding of theatre by focusing on experiential and collaborative undergraduate learning. Through a strong liberal arts foundation, we cultivate our students’ artistic integrity and work ethic, so they excel as well-rounded theatre practitioners. Our belief in the transformative power of theatre underscores our dedication to students, the university, and the community. With NAU theatre, you learn theatre by doing theatre. #DoingTheatre
Lessons you will learn in theatre:
- Artistic Integrity
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Effective communication
Our Learning Outcomes
- Evaluate, analyze, and apply a depth and breadth of knowledge about the global impact of Theatre history, literature, and practices to the scholarship and practice of Theatre.
- Value and apply an understanding of and experience with Theatre as a collaborative art to the scholarship and practice of Theatre.
- Apply knowledge of theory to practical work in Theatre.
- Articulate an understanding of sustainability in Theatre, in all of its manifestations.
- Effectively communicate the theory and practice of Theatre in the following modes: digital, literary, verbal, and non-verbal.
- Apply effective problem solving through creative and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate the facility to synthesize and apply their liberal studies to the practice of Theatre.
- Practice an effective system of preparation and working habits.
NAU’s Department of Theatre facilities include two state-of-the-art theaters: our 300-seat, proscenium Clifford E. White Theater and our black box Studio Theater. Our facilities also include an acting studio, design lab, costume shop, laundry facilities and dying room, makeup and dressing rooms, resource library, scene/properties shop, storage, regular and “smart technology” classrooms, and faculty.
NAU Theatre has long held association with the following regional, national, and international organizations:
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education
- Stage Directors and Choreographers Society
- Mid-America Theatre Conference
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- United States Institute for Theatre Technology