Parent and family resources
Not sure where to go to find answers to your questions? Have a look at some useful resources and university departments below.
Need some help? We have compiled a list of books and websites below that can assist you and your student through the college years.
When you get stuck, have a look at one of these books or websites for advice on helping your student have the best college experience possible.
- Bringing Home the Laundry: Effective Parenting for College and Beyond. Janis Brody. 2001
- Confessions of a College Freshman: A Survival Guide for Dorm Life, Biology Lab, the Cafeteria, and Other First-Year Adventures. Zach Arrington. 2001
- Don’t Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years. Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller. 2000
- Empty Nest … Full Heart: The Journey from Home to College. Andrea Van Steenhouse. 2002
- Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled–and More Miserable Than Ever Before. Jean M. Twenge. PhD. 2007
- Getting Ready for College: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go From Bike Locks to Laundry Baskets, Financial Aid to Health Care. Polly Berent. 2003
- I’ll Miss You Too: An Off-to-College Guide for Parents and Students. Margo E. Woodacre Bane and Steffany Bane. 2006
- The Launching Years: Strategies for Parenting from Senior Year to College Life. Laura Kastner and Jennifer Wyatt. 2002
- Let The Journey Begin: A Parent’s Monthly Guide to the College Experience. Jacqueline Kiernan MacKay and Wanda Johnson Ingram. 2001
- Life During College: Your Guide to Success. Life After Graduation. 2005
- Living the College Life: Real Students. Real Experiences. Real Advice. Kenneth Paulsen. 2005
- My Freshman Year: What a Professor Learned by Becoming a Student. Rebekah Nathan. 2006
- Making the Most of College: Students Speak Their Minds. Richard Light. 2004
- The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College, 2nd Edition. Harlan Cohen. 2005
- Parents’ Guide to College Life: 181 Straight Answers on Everything You Can Expect Over the Next Four Years. Robin Raskin. 2006
- Stop Parenting and Start Coaching. Carter Carol. 2003
- You’re On Your Own (But I’m Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years. Marjorie Savage. 2003
- Letting Go: A Parent’s Guide to Understanding College Years. Coburn & Treeger
- CollegeTipsForParents.org: a helpful website for parents of college students
- The Game of Survivor. Anne Tyra
- Don’t Worry Be Happy. Karen Walasek
Other resources and departments
Find other resources below, including places on campus to pay your student’s tuition, keep your student safe, find housing, and more.
Find out where your student needs to go or who to talk to on campus to make the university transition an easy one.
Admissions and new student information Accordion Closed
Learn how to apply to Northern Arizona University, the first steps to take after admission, and how to attend new student orientation.
Advising Accordion Closed
The Gateway Student Success Center provides advising for newly admitted and first-year students.
Campus services Accordion Closed
Career services Accordion Closed
Health Accordion Closed
Finances Accordion Closed
Records Accordion Closed
Office of the Registrar
At the Registrar, you can keep track of important university-wide dates and view your student’s transcripts.