Field Education Eligibility & Requirements
Do you meet the eligibility requirements for NAU’s BSW Social Work Field Education program?
Field Education is an important part of the Social Work learning experience, and it is vital that students are fully prepared to make the most of the opportunity. Our Field Education faculty help match qualifying students with the best placements for them.
All BSW students must complete 480 hours of Field Education with an approved organization.
To be eligible to apply for Field Placement, you must:
- Have an overall GPA of 2.25
- If applicable, students need to obtain their fingerprint clearance card (Arizona), or equivalent, within the state of your field placement location Fingerprint Clearance Information
- Have formally applied and been accepted as a social work major
- Have attained senior status and have completed SW 321 with a grade of B or better. In addition, for block placement, you will have completed all required core courses
- Follow the procedures for applying for field placement
To complete the Field Placement requirement, you must:
- participate in the field seminar
- complete the required SW 408 assignments
- complete a minimum of 450 hours
For students who are interested in completing their field placement at their current place of employment, there is an additional approval process and application that is required. Consult with the NAU Social Work Field Education Office.
Field placement application deadlines
- Fall Semester – February 1
- Spring Semester – April 1
- Summer Semester – November 1