Undergraduate scholarships & awards
Opportunities for NAU students to help offset the cost of tuition
Northern Arizona University offers scholarships & awards to qualified students, both at the university level and within the School of Earth & Sustainability.
Research awards – conduct your own study
NAU is committed to providing substantial research opportunities for motivated undergraduate students. Depending on your stage in your degree, you may be eligible for a Hooper Undergraduate Research Award (HURA), or a NASA Space Grant Internship (for projects related to earth sciences and climate change). Check out the links, and talk to professors with research interests similar to yours to find a mentor. You can also gain research experience through the Interns-to-Scholars program.
School scholarships for academic and leadership achievement
Thanks to the generosity of alumni and friends, the School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability also has numerous scholarship awards to offer to deserving undergraduate students in our programs. The deadline for all awards will be April 8, 2019. See each award for application instructions [coming soon].
Environmental Sciences and Environmental & Sustainability Studies Accordion Open
Environmental Fund for a Sustainable Future Scholarship
Amount of award varies: approximately $2,000
The Environmental Fund for a Sustainable Future Scholarship provides funding for junior and senior Environmental Sciences or Environmental & Sustainability Studies majors currently enrolled full-time and in good standing with NAU.
- Clear, demonstrated activism or research outside the classroom in environmental preservation, protection, and restoration
- Potential to make significant contributions to environmental sciences and/or politics
- Interest in and contributions to northern Arizona environmental issues
Lisa Marie Jones Memorial Scholarship
Amount of award varies: approximately $1,500
The Lisa Marie Jones Memorial Scholarship provides funding for junior and senior Environmental Sciences or Environmental & Sustainability Studies majors currently enrolled full-time and in good standing with NAU.
- GPA of 2.5 or above
- Arizona Resident
- Financial need
Bill Morrall Conservation Scholarship
Amount of award varies: approximately $500
The Bill Morrall Conservation Scholarship was established in 1983 by the Arizona Wildlife Federation to honor the memory of Bill Morrall. Bill was actively involved in the work of the foundation and conservation issues important to Northern Arizona. Past recipients may apply.
- U.S. citizen
- Undergraduate or graduate
- Enrolled in conservation related studies.
- Finalists for this award will be asked to complete a separate, additional application.
Geology Accordion Closed
The following awards are given to recognize exceptional undergraduate students in geology. Recipients are selected by the geology faculty.
Outstanding Undergraduate in Geology Award
- Anticipated graduation with a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 (A=4.0) or higher, and/or:
- Participation in departmental activities including research, and/or;
- Participation in extracurricular activities and/or volunteer work
Cree Family Scholarship
Award to an outstanding geology major in his or her junior or senior year.
Vesto Slipher Award
- Majoring in Earth Sciences