SBS Research Symposium
Sharing creative ideas, research, and discoveries at NAU
Join us for the sixth annual College of Social and Behavioral Sciences symposium of scholarly pursuits. Students from 11 departments and programs will convene to share their creative discoveries and present in-depth research and scholarly work to their peers, professors, and the University and Flagstaff communities.
More than 200 posters will showcase the diversity of students’ educational experiences. The symposium will highlight students’ participation in traditional research activities, classroom-based scholarly projects, and in service learning and collaborative projects.
Events are free and open to the public.
Upcoming SBS Research Symposium date, time, and location
Friday, November 30, 2018
2:00 PM – 5:00 PM (UMT)
Ashurst Auditorium (11)
624 S Knoles Dr
Flagstaff AZ 86011
Student registration process Accordion Closed
Submit your poster online using our online registration form. You will be notified about your poster location prior to the event.
The registration link closes on November 16th, 2018 at 11:59pm.
The deadline to submit posters for printing is Monday, November 26th, 2018 at 5:00 pm.
NOTE: Only the primary author should register; all co-authors should be listed by the primary author on the submission form.
Symposium poster presentation schedule Accordion Closed
Student presenters will be assigned to present their posters at one of the following sessions:
- Session 1 2:00pm – 2:55pm
- Session 2 3:00pm – 3:55pm
- Session 3 4:00pm – 4:55pm
Students should plan to arrive 10 minutes before their poster session begins in order to locate their poster board. Posters for the first session should be positioned by 1:55. Posters for the second session should be positioned by 3:00, and for the third session, by 4:00.
Poster preparation information Accordion Closed
It is the responsibility of participating students to create posters for the poster sessions. Posters should be designed to be attached using Velcro on a large display board (no tri-fold poster boards). For consistency and convenience, we recommend that you download and take advantage of the poster templates provided below. There is a landscape version and a portrait version with useful tips to help you quickly create an attractive poster, but we encourage you to be creative as well.
Use the Poster Preparation Information webpage for complete details about preparing and printing a poster (includes links to poster templates).
Basic formatting requirements:
- Posters should be no larger than 34 inches x 44 inches to fit on the display board; a bit smaller is fine.
- All posters must be attached to the display board using Velcro. No tri-fold posters are permitted.
- Posters must be readable from at least four feet away.
- The presentation title must be at least two inches high.
- Beneath the title, the name(s) of the student author(s), faculty sponsor, and department/school must be at least one inch high.
- All source(s) of your funding should be acknowledged on the poster.
- Additional information are listed below and can also be found on the Undergraduate Research webpage.
- You should create the poster the size you need (maximum size: 34” x 44”) in PowerPoint or PDF format. Trying to blow up an 8 ½ x 11 does NOT work!!
- The use of dark (especially black) solid color backgrounds is strongly Posters using solid dark backgrounds may not be printed or may incur additional charges.
- There are large format NAU logos to be found at http://nau.edu/marketing/logos/
- Make sure your poster is sized properly for printing (e.g., 34 inches high by 44 inches wide). This is done in the Page Setup command in PowerPoint.
- Use conventional fonts, such as Arial, Times New Roman, This will make printing faster and more reliable.
- Give the file to be printed a meaningful name that includes the course, section, and last name of the person submitting the print Here is an example of the recommended format: PSY302W – S1 – Goodman.
- Regardless of the printing option you’ve chosen (Department of Psychological Sciences, SBS Office of the Dean, commercial printer, ), make sure you understand both the costs of, and time frames for, printing.
- The normal paper size for printing is 36” Consequently, you will be required to trim the excess paper to meet the 34” high maximum allowed for the finished poster’s size.
- E-mail used to submit posters should include contact information including cell phone and e-mail.
- Be responsive to e-mails from the office printing the poster for your Staff may need to consult with you immediately regarding printing issues.
Poster printing options Accordion Closed
Options available through the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
A: For ALL on-campus options:
- PowerPoint format is preferred.
- Posters that are in an incorrect file format, corrupted or incorrect in formatting and size will not be printed. It will be the responsibility of the student to correct these issues.
- Credit/debit card or check required for payment.
- Cost:Approximately $25 – $30; high color content or color backgrounds will be charged at the higher rate. Printing on white background is the least expensive Posters are printed on satin photographic paper.
- Posters must be submitted for printing by5pm November 26th. Requests received after this date will only be accommodated if time allows.
Department of Psychological Sciences – Student Academic Services (SAS) building #60, 3rd floor
- Only Psychological Sciences students may print posters here. Follow all instructions on the Department of Psychological Sciences webpage.
- Files should be sent to PSYPosterPrinting@nau.edu
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences – Dean’s Office, SBS Castro Building #65, room 200
- Visit this link for additional information SBS Poster Printing Information.
- Files should be sent to SBS.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The e-mail should include “Poster Request” and your name in the subject line.
B . Other local poster printing options:
Note: Most need 24 hours notice and prefer PDF format; you will need to pay for the poster at the time you place your order. Call to obtain more information.
- Kinko’s FedEx: (1423 S. Plaza Way, 779-5159) ~$70 + tax with NAU ID
- Staple’s: (2625 N. Woodlands Village Blvd., 214-8424) ~$70 + tax
- Print Raven (1300 S. Milton #125, 773-1105) ~$52 (matte) or ~$62 (gloss) + tax
C: Online options:
- PosterPresentations.com: Includes fabric posters. Price varies by size and quality ($45-$65); place order by noon (Pacific time) for poster to ship out the same business day (cost of shipping depends on delivery time: $0 – $60).