SBS Research Symposium
Sharing creative ideas, research, and discoveries at NAU
Join us at the Seventh Annual College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Research Symposium of scholarly pursuits. Students will convene to share their creative discoveries and present in-depth research and scholarly work to their peers, professors, and the University and Flagstaff communities.
More than 200 posters will showcase the diversity of students’ educational experiences. The symposium will highlight students’ participation in traditional research activities, classroom-based scholarly projects, and in service learning and collaborative projects. This event is free and open to the public.
2021 SBS Research Symposium
The SBS Research Symposium has been postponed until 2022.
Poster preparation information Accordion Closed
It is the responsibility of participating students to create posters for the poster sessions. Posters should be designed to be attached using Velcro on a large display board (no tri-fold poster boards). For consistency and convenience, we recommend that you download and take advantage of the poster templates provided below. There is a landscape version and a portrait version with useful tips to help you quickly create an attractive poster, but we encourage you to be creative as well.
Use the Poster Preparation Information webpage for complete details about preparing and printing a poster (includes links to poster templates).
Basic formatting requirements:
- Posters should be no larger than 34 inches x 44 inches to fit on the display board; a bit smaller is fine.
- All posters must be attached to the display board using Velcro. No tri-fold posters are permitted.
- Posters must be readable from at least four feet away.
- The presentation title must be at least two inches high.
- Beneath the title, the name(s) of the student author(s), faculty sponsor, and department/school must be at least one inch high.
- All source(s) of your funding should be acknowledged on the poster.
- Additional information are listed below and can also be found on the Undergraduate Research webpage.
- You should create the poster the size you need (maximum size: 34” x 44”) in PowerPoint or PDF format. Trying to blow up an 8 ½ x 11 does NOT work!
- Posters need to be designed with a white or light-colored background. Posters with full-image backgrounds or dark-colored backgrounds will not be printed.
- There are large format NAU logos to be found at http://nau.edu/marketing/logos/
- Make sure your poster is sized properly for printing (e.g., 34 inches high by 44 inches wide). This is done in the Page Setup command in PowerPoint.
- Use conventional fonts, such as Arial, Times New Roman, This will make printing faster and more reliable.
- Give the file to be printed a meaningful name that includes the course, section, and last name of the person submitting the print Here is an example of the recommended format: PSY302W – S1 – Goodman.
- Regardless of the printing option you’ve chosen, make sure you understand both the costs of, and time frames for, printing.
- The normal paper size for printing is 36” Consequently, you will be required to trim the excess paper to meet the 34” high maximum allowed for the finished poster’s size.
Poster printing options Accordion Closed
Department of Psychological Sciences – Student Academic Services (SAS), Bldg. 60, 3rd floor
- Only Psychological Sciences students may print posters here. Follow all instructions on the Department of Psychological Sciences webpage.
- Files should be sent to PSYPosterPrinting@nau.edu
Other local poster printing options:
Note: Most need 24 hours notice and prefer PDF format; you will need to pay for the poster at the time you place your order. Call to obtain more information.