Communication Studies, Minor
This minor can be an excellent addition to any major. Faculty members emphasize critical thinking and research, preparing you to be a reflective citizen able to contribute thoughtfully and constructively to the world around you.
Requirements Accordion Open
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Relational literacy and communication: Students will develop an understanding of how human relationships are constructed, negotiated and maintained through communication.
- Professional identity: Students will develop an understanding of the ways communication defines and strengthens their ability to navigate organizational and occupational relationships.
- Culture and communication: Students will develop an understanding of the function of communication in the construction of diverse social, cultural and political identities.
- Inquiry and scholarship: Students will develop an understanding of and ability to apply research methods (quantitative, qualitative and critical) in multiple contexts of communication.
- Disciplinary identity: Students will develop an understanding of the evolution, status, and function of the communication field.
- Communication competencies: Students will demonstrate competence in oral and written communication.
- Theoretical and critical thinking: Students will develop the ability to critically analyze messages, identify and evaluate underlying assumptions, forms of reasoning, use of evidence and conceptual frameworks.
Details Accordion Closed
Take the following 21 units:
- CST 111, CST 151, (CST 201 or COM 200), CST 271 (12 units)
- Select, in consultation with a Communication Studies advisor, from the following (9 units):
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.