Winter housing & fall closing
Most residence halls close for winter break at 9 a.m. on Friday, Dec 10, 2021, unless designated as a winter term residence hall. As you prepare for the end of the fall semester, please review the following details.
Important fall closing dates
- Your community will host a virtual mandatory closing meeting by late November to review important details. Specific date and time of the meeting will be communicated by your RA.
- 22-Hour Quiet Hours are in effect from November 28-December 5 with daily courtesy hours from 5-7 p.m.
- 24-Hour Quiet Hours are in effect from December 5-10 to support studying for finals exams.
- Winter hall closure begins December 10 and extends until halls reopen in January.
Residence hall closing
Most residence halls close on December 10 at 9 a.m. with no access to the hall over winter break.
- Please make arrangements to leave the hall within 24 hours after your last final exam or by 10 a.m. on Wednesday if you have a Tuesday exam.
- You may leave your belongings in your room over the winter break. However, please remember to take valuable personal items (cell phone, laptop, chargers, eyeglasses, medicine, plants, etc.) as you will not have access to the building during that time.
- Complete the “before you leave” list below and do the Online Checkout in the housing portal.
- Place your room key in the designated key drop box at the front desk. You will receive your key when you return for spring move-in.
- Card access will be deactivated for the duration of the break until halls reopen in January.
Winter break housing
The following residence halls will remain open for winter break. Current residents of these halls can continue to stay in their room over the break and card access will remain active.
- Campus Heights
- Honors College
- McKay Village
- Pine Ridge Village
- South Village
If you leave for all or part of the winter break, please be sure to complete the “Before you leave” list below and do the Online Checkout in the housing portal.
If you need winter break housing, but currently live in a hall that will close, you can request temporary winter downtime housing in the housing portal. Room assignments are made based on space availability and anticipated to be in suite-style halls with a roommate/suitemate.
Before you leave Accordion Closed
- Return any rented books to the Bookstore before you leave for break.
- Clean out your refrigerator and remove all perishable items.
- Clean your room and empty your trash and recycling into the large receptacles outside.
- Unplug everything in your room except your refrigerator. If you have a fish tank with a self-feeder you can leave it plugged in.
- Remove all obstructions on or around radiator/heater.
- Turn off faucets tightly. Call work control at 928-523-4227 if it drips or if you have any other maintenance needs.
- If you live in a suite or apartment, clean all bathrooms, tubs/showers and kitchen before leaving. It is the responsibility of all residents in the unit to clean the shared areas. Please note that if an area needs excessive cleaning, custodial staff will be brought in and the related charge will be applied to all residents of the suite or apartment.
- Leave thermostat at the following settings:
- Allen/Cowden – 5
- Calderon – 3
- Campus Heights/McKay/Pine Ridge/ South Village – 64
- Gabaldon/Tinsley/Wilson – High
- Gillenwater – 4
- Honors College – 68
- Close and lock windows and close the blinds.
- Lock your door before leaving.
- Complete Online Checkout in the housing portal
- If your hall is closed over winter break, place your key in the designated key drop box at the front desk.
Staff entering rooms Accordion Closed
Facilities personnel may enter your room during break to perform basic maintenance activities. Additionally, staff who may enter rooms will ensure that your space is free of common safety hazards and policy violations. They will make sure that:
- Lights and electronics are off
- Room is empty of garbage/recycling
- Sprinkler heads and smoke detectors are operational and unobstructed. Nothing should be hanging from or near the sprinkler heads and nothing should cover or tamper the smoke detector.
- No decorative items are on the ceilings
- No candles or other prohibited items are present (like alcohol and/or alcohol bottles for someone under 21)
- Windows are closed and locked and thermostat setting is sufficient so that pipes will not freeze
Open space in your room? Accordion Closed
If there is or will be an open space in your room/unit (not including single buy-outs), please note the following:
- Staff will enter your room/unit over the winter break to clean and prepare the other half of your room for a new resident.
- Please remove all personal items off the vacant bed, dresser and desk, off the floor for carpet extraction, and away from the sink.
- If your room is not prepared for a new roommate, you will be charged $50 and any excessive cleaning fees.
- If you are interested in a single buy-out for the spring semester, contact University.Housing@nau.edu
Parking information Accordion Closed
Over winter break, there are typically alternative parking plans communicated to students with parking passes. Watch for more information from University Transit Services
Winter term classes Accordion Closed
Did you know there are hundreds of winter classes offered? Take a winter course to stay on track and keep your momentum going, or get ahead with more than 100 options to meet your Liberal Arts requirements.
Not returning for the spring semester? Accordion Closed
If you do not plan to return to campus or are withdrawing your enrollment at NAU for the spring semester, follow the instructions on the move-out details page and learn how to avoid charges.