Application process for non-freshman students
- current on-campus residents
- current off-campus students
- new transfer students
- new international students
- graduate students
Available application terms:
- 2021-2022 Academic Year (August 2021-May 2022) Opened October 1, 2020
New for 2021-2022 Accordion Closed
Several exciting changes will be in place for 2021-2022 room selection:
- Laundry will now be included in your housing rent rate. No need to pay per load or swipe your card next year!
- Our housing rent rate structure had been simplified. Rates will be based on bedroom privacy (shared or private), and unit type/occupancy. As always, all utilities and internet is included in your housing rent. No hidden costs or additional bills! View 2021-2022 housing rates here.
- Raymond and Roseberry – will now house just two residents per apartment
- Campus Heights – will be renovated this summer and will house two residents per apartment (view additional details about International House)
- Honors College – upper-division Honors students will be able to select a room in Honors College
- North District – Morton, Campbell, and Taylor for upper-division students
- Private Room Buyouts – will be available to select during online room selection in all suite-style buildings. A private room buyout is a room designed for two students, bought out as a private room for one student for an additional cost of $1,500 per academic year on top of your standard rent rate. While both sets of furniture remain in the room, the second bed space will not be available for selection or placement. (Calderon, Gabaldon, Mountain View, and North District buildings)
Housing application Accordion Closed
- Log into the housing portal to submit your application with your user ID and password.
- A $100 non-refundable application fee will be charged to your student LOUIE account after you apply and due by the posted due date.
New students, please note:
- New transfer students: once admitted to NAU, you will need to accept your offer of admission and pay your enrollment deposit prior to applying for housing. Please allow one-two business days for access to the housing portal after paying your enrollment deposit.
- New international students: New international students should visit the Orientation website for more information regarding the orientation schedule, their required date of arrival, and frequently asked questions. Students should also ensure they complete all of the steps listed on the Admitted Student Checklist prior to their arrival at NAU.
Roommates Accordion Closed
- 2021-2022 Academic Year – Open
In your housing application, you will complete a roommate questionnaire to assist with roommate matching. You also have the option to add a personal bio to help others get to know your personality, interests, hobbies and what you are hoping for in your roommate experience.
You have the option to search, request and accept specific roommate requests (based on space availability), or to accept a non-specific roommate. Your roommate questionnaire is used to determine and display potential best-matched roommates. There are three ways to search for and request roommates:
- Browse Overall Best-Matched Roommates – you can see others whose responses to the roommate questionnaire were similar to yours and are not currently part of a group
- Browse Best-Matched Roommates Based on Specific Questions – you can browse the profiles of others who answered a roommate questionnaire question a certain way and are not currently part of a group
- Search and Request a Specific Roommate – you can find a specific person by their NAU UserID (abc123) or Web Name (42587)
The online housing application allows students to create groups of potential roommates. When you initiate a roommate request, a group is automatically created.
- The person who initiates the invitation becomes the group leader.
- Those who accept invitations become group members.
- A roommate group may consist of 2-4 members.
- You can only be part of one roommate group at a time.
When you invite others or have been invited to a roommate group, you will see a list of pending requests.
- “Pending Outgoing Requests” are those people you or a group member have invited to be part of your roommate group and are awaiting their decision to accept or decline.
- “Pending Incoming Requests” are invitations from others to be part of their group and are awaiting your decision to accept or decline.
- Those who accept invitations are displayed as group members.
- Those who decline will not become a group member and will be removed from Pending Incoming/Outgoing Requests.
- Any group member can invite others or cancel pending requests.
Leaving a roommate group
- If you no longer want to be part of a group, you will need to first remove yourself from your current group.
- While a member a group, you will not be able to be invited to other groups. To be added to a different group, first remove yourself from your current group.
- If you are the group leader, you will need to Pass Leadership to another member before leaving the group.
Placing group members during room selection
- Please note: A roommate group serves as a request to live together. It does not guarantee placement as it is dependent on space availability.
- Any group member can place other group members during room selection based on space availability.
- Roommate requests must be accepted prior to room selection and placed at the time of initial room selection. You will not be able to later add roommates if you have already selected a room without them.
- The group member with the earliest room selection time should place other group members for greatest availability.
- The person completing room selection should first place themselves and then assign as many group members as will fill the available space in the unit (i.e. up to two roommates in a fully available Raymond apartment). Discuss alternative plans with potential roommates prior to room selection in case your desired hall or space is not available at the time of your room selection.
For more details on the roommate search and request processes, tips for a successful roommate experience and additional resources, visit our Roommate Success Guide.
Room selection/assignment timeline Accordion Closed
- 2021-2022 Academic Year – Room selection began March 15 and will continue on a rolling basis.
- You will receive your assigned room selection date/time in your NAU email.
- Log back into the housing portal at (or after) your assigned time to view and select from available rooms.
- Room selection occurs in real time, so current available space will be displayed at your assigned room selection time.
- Roommate groups can include any upper-division student who has applied for the same term.
- Please review all upper-division housing options prior to room selection so you are familiar with all residence halls and space configurations. McKay and Campus Heights have multiple apartment types, so please read the descriptions carefully when viewing and selecting rooms.
Redo room selection
If you want to change your room selection, you will have the option to redo room selection on the application status page in the housing portal, which displays current available space.
Room selection guide Accordion Closed
Each box on the room selection page contains a bedroom. Details in the box describe the room type, how many total beds in the room, and how many of those beds are currently available to select. You will select Ready to Assign Beds when you are ready to assign yourself (and roommates) to beds. Please mind the count-down clock in the upper-right as you will have limited time to assign the bed and confirm the placement of yourself (and roommates) in the space(s) you have selected.
Images are representations. Room letter designations may vary by suite/apt.
Important Information for those in a roommate group:
- When you are assigning roommates, please be sure to select enough bedroom boxes to accommodate the number of people you wish to assign. For example, if you want to assign yourself and three roommates, you should select two boxes of double rooms as in the example graphics. You would select four boxes if you are selecting single rooms in McKay Village and Pine Ridge Village. You must pay attention to the number of available beds in the room, as everything is based on space availability.
- If you would like to place group members in the same room with you, you should do so at the time of initial room selection.
- Finalize your roommate group prior to room selection if you want to place all roommate group members.
Images are representations. Room letter designations may vary by suite/apt.
Sign license agreement Accordion Closed
- 2021-2022 Academic Year – Available spring 2021
You will be asked to electronically sign that you have read, understand and agree to the terms and conditions of the license agreement. The license agreement is binding for the entire academic year, both fall and spring semesters. Students are legally responsible for the financial fulfillment of this contractual agreement.
Note: Students who are under 18 at the time of application must have a parent or legal guardian also electronically agree to the terms and conditions of the contract.
Housing rent confirmation payment (HRCP) Accordion Closed
- A $175 housing rent confirmation payment (HRCP) is required to hold your space on campus. This payment applies toward your first semester rent.
- The HRCP due by designated date. If you do not make this payment by the due date, your housing application will be cancelled.
- 2021-2022 Academic Year – due May 15, 2021 (posted to your LOUIE account spring 2021)
- If you apply after designated date, your HRCP will be due within seven (7) days of your application.
- The $175 HRCP will be refunded to your account if you cancel by May 15 (November 15 for spring only).
- The $175 HRCP is non-refundable if you cancel after May 15 (November 15 for spring only).
Meal plans Accordion Closed
No matter where you choose to live next year, you still can benefit from having a meal plan and the convenience of eating on campus. With everything from platinum weekly plans to semester block plans, there’s a variety to choose from to best fit your budget and your busy schedule.