How to apply for housing
Upper-division housing application for returning students, transfer students, and international students
- 2019-2020 Academic Year (August 2019-May 2020) open now!
- Spring 2020 Only (January 2020-May 2020) opens September 1, 2019
- 2020-2021 Academic Year (August 2020-May 2021) opens November 1, 2019
Housing application Accordion Closed
- Log into the housing portal to submit your application with your user ID and password.
- A $100 non-refundable application fee will be charged to your student LOUIE account after you apply. Fee payment is due within seven days or the application will be cancelled.
New students, please note:
- New transfer students: once admitted to NAU, you will need to accept your offer of admission and pay your enrollment deposit prior to applying for housing. Please allow one-two business days for access to the housing portal after paying your enrollment deposit.
- New international students: once admitted to NAU, you will need to notify the Center for International Education about your attendance by completing the enrollment form online prior to applying for housing.
Roommates Accordion Closed
In your housing application, you will complete a roommate questionnaire consisting of 11 questions to assist with roommate matching. You also have the option to add a personal bio to help others get to know your personality, interests, hobbies and what you are hoping for in your roommate experience.
You have the option to search, request and accept specific roommate requests (based on space availability), or to accept a non-specific roommate. Your roommate questionnaire is used to determine and display potential best-matched roommates. There are three ways to search for and request roommates:
- Search and Request a Specific Roommate – you can find a specific person by their NAU UserID (abc123) or Web Name (42587)
- Browse Overall Best-Matched Roommates – you can see others whose responses to the roommate questionnaire were similar to yours and are not currently part of a group
- Browse Best-Matched Roommates Based on Specific Questions – you can browse the profiles of others who answered a roommate questionnaire question a certain way and are not currently part of a group
The online housing application allows students to create groups of potential roommates. When you initiate a roommate request, a group is automatically created.
- The person who initiates the invitation becomes the group leader.
- Those who accept invitations become group members.
- A roommate group may consist of 2-4 members.
- You can only be part of one roommate group at a time.
When you invite others or have been invited to a roommate group, you will see a list of pending requests.
- “Pending Outgoing Requests” are those people you or a group member have invited to be part of your roommate group and are awaiting their decision to accept or decline.
- “Pending Incoming Requests” are invitations from others to be part of their group and are awaiting your decision to accept or decline.
- Those who accept invitations are displayed as group members.
- Those who decline will not become a group member and will be removed from Pending Incoming/Outgoing Requests.
- Any group member can invite others or cancel pending requests.
Leaving a roommate group
- If you no longer want to be part of a group, you will need to first remove yourself from your current group.
- While a member a group, you will not be able to be invited to other groups. To be added to a different group, first remove yourself from your current group.
- If you are the group leader, you will need to Pass Leadership to another member before leaving the group.
Placing group members during room selection
- Please note: A roommate group serves as a request to live together. It does not guarantee placement as it is dependent on space availability.
- Any group member can place other group members during room selection based on space availability.
- Roommate requests must be accepted prior to room selection and placed at the time of initial room selection. You will not be able to later add roommates if you have already selected a room without them.
- The group member with the earliest room selection time should place other group members for greatest availability.
- The person completing room selection should first place themselves and then assign as many group members as will fill the available space in the unit (i.e. up to two roommates in a fully available Raymond apartment). Discuss alternative plans with potential roommates prior to room selection in case your desired hall or space is not available at the time of your room selection.
For more details on the roommate search and request processes, tips for a successful roommate experience and additional resources, visit our Roommate Success Guide.
Room selection/assignment Accordion Closed
- Your assigned room selection date/time is based on your group below and your date of housing application.
- Log back into the housing portal at (or after) your assigned time to view and select from available rooms.
- Room selection occurs in real time, so current available space will be displayed at your assigned room selection time.
- Please review all upper-division housing options prior to room selection so you are familiar with all residence halls and space configurations. Some halls including McKay, Campus Heights and South Village have multiple apartment types, so please read the descriptions carefully when viewing and selecting rooms.
Room selection timeline
Priority room selection for on-campus “rising sophomores”
- “Rising sophomores” are freshmen currently living on campus who have been enrolled for 1 – 2 semesters including spring 2019
- Those rising sophomores who apply by February 1 are eligible for priority room selection that will occur February 11-15
- Specific room selection times are assigned by date of housing application, and will be sent to your NAU email by February 8
- If you are assigned a time but do not choose a space by February 15, your application will be cancelled. You can reinstate your application by contacting our office, and a new time will be reassigned to you for the general room selection process.
- Your housing rent must be current to participate in room selection. You will not be able to select a room if you have past due rent on your student account.
General room selection
- General room selection will occur on a rolling basis from March 1 – July 1 for the following groups:
- Rising sophomores currently living on campus who apply after February 1
- Rising juniors/seniors currently living on campus
- New transfer students
- New international students
- Current students living off campus
- Specific room selection times are assigned by date of housing application, and will be sent to NAU email addresses. You will be notified of your room selection time at least one week in advance of your assigned time.
- If living on campus, your housing rent must be current to participate in room selection. You will not be able to select a room if you have past due rent on your student account.
- Room selection will occur February 10-11 for the following groups in designated halls:
- International House (I-House) in Campus Heights
- Upper-division Honors in Calderon
- Fraternity and Sorority Life in Mountain View
- Details will be sent directly to eligible students through NAU email
Late application room assignments
- The housing application will remain open as long as space is anticipated.
- Housing and Residence Life will assign rooms for those applying after May 15 where space is available. Students will be notified of their specific room assignment in late summer.
Housing rent confirmation payment Accordion Closed
- A $175 Housing Rent Confirmation Payment (HRCP) is required to hold your selected space. This payment applies toward your fall semester rent.
- The HRCP charge will be posted to your student LOUIE account the week of February 25 and is due by May 15. If you do not make this payment by the May 15 deadline, your housing application and selected space will be cancelled.
- The $175 HRCP will be refunded to your account if you cancel by May 15.
- The $175 HRCP is non-refundable if you cancel after May 15.
- Housing rent must also be current to hold your selected space. If you have any past due rent on your student account as of May 15, your application and space will be cancelled.
Don’t forget a meal plan!
No matter where you choose to live next year, you still can benefit from having a meal plan and the convenience of eating on campus. With everything from platinum weekly plans to semester block plans, there’s a variety to choose from to best fit your budget and your busy schedule.