Student employment – summer housing assistant
Join our summer housing team
Housing and Residence Life serves a variety of populations for the summer months including NAU summer school students, NAU Orientation participants, special program participants and conference guests from all over the United States and other countries. To best meet the diverse needs of our residents and guests in a fluctuating summer schedule, Summer Housing Assistants (SHAs) staff all summer residence halls as one team. The Summer Housing Assistant role is a 30-40 hour/week position on average, including work on evenings, weekends and holidays. The actual number of hours worked per week will vary based on the occupancy and weekly needs of the summer residence halls.
Summer housing assistant position description
Responsibilities Accordion Closed
Resident and guest services
- Work scheduled shifts at residence hall front desks
- Provide excellent customer service to residents/guests at all times
- Present a positive and professional image of NAU at all times, including upholding laws, policies, and procedures of the State of Arizona, Northern Arizona University, and Housing and Residence Life.
- Greet residents/guests and answer inquiries pertaining to hall services, directions, and Flagstaff area attractions
- Answer front desk phone and email; receive and deliver messages
- Complete desk tasks and update communication log
- Prepare materials including maps, rosters, information sheets, and bulletin boards
- Organize keys, name tags and lanyards for arriving conference guests and special group participants
- Enter and update data in StarRez housing information management system
- Facilitate check-in and check-out of summer session students, conference guests, orientation participants and special programs
- Manage traffic flow, communicate with group leaders and guests, provide directional information and solve concerns that arise
- Conduct set of building rounds at beginning and end of closing desk shifts
Housekeeping and building preparation
- Prepare halls for room turnover at beginning of each summer session, after check-outs and in between conference group arrival/departures
- Lower/raise lofted beds at beginning/end of conference season
- Turn over rooms in between each check-in/out:Clean/dust room furniture and shelves; clean room sinks, mirrors and windows; empty wastebaskets; sweep/vacuum
- Clean showers, sinks, toilets, floors, and mirrors in suite/apartment bathrooms
- Clean appliances, counters, storage areas and floors in apartment kitchens, laundry and living room areas
- Remove and bundle dirty linen
- Make beds with clean linen (includes moving linen bundles of various weight up to 50 lbs. to and from the designated hall linen rooms)
- Complete room inspection/inventory for each room before a group arrives and after the group departs
- Assess/report damages and submit maintenance/custodial needs after each group checks out
- Properly label lost and found items and log at front desk
- Inspect public spaces to identify and submit custodial and maintenance concerns
- Set up meeting spaces including arranging tables and chairs, and re-setting furniture after meetings
- Conduct detailed team walkthroughs of every NAU residence hall to assess and report building-wide facility needs in preparation for fall opening
- Respond to emergencies
- Address resident/guest behavioral concerns, document incidents and notify supervisors
- Record designated information in on-call tracking log
- Adhere to on-call policies and guidelines
Training, attendance and weekly scheduling
- Complete online and in-person SHA training in May
- Attend designated staff meetings and in-service training sessions as directed
- Regularly consult employee schedule for all assigned shift times, locations and shift changes; attend all scheduled shifts
Qualifications Accordion Closed
- Strong public relations, customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility and ability to handle potentially stressful situations
- Positive and professional attitude
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to perform all tasks with or without accommodation (physical labor includes cleaning tasks listed above, moving linen bundles of various weight up to 50 lbs., and moving furniture)
Employment stipulations Accordion Closed
- Must be registered for NAU classes (either Summer 2019 or Fall 2019); graduating students are not eligible to apply unless registered for an NAU summer class approved in advance
- A minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA is required for student employment
One 3-credit hour class maximum per 5-week summer session is allowed only with prior approval; must possess a minimum 2.5 cum GPA after spring semester for a class to be taken
- Must be in good conduct standing, which means refraining from behaviors that could result in being placed on University and/or Contract Probation. In matters that result in a SHA being placed on University and/or Contract Probation (from the time of offer through the end of employment), the staff member may lose eligibility to hold the position.
- Due to scheduling needs, outside employment is not permitted
- Time-off requests will not be considered for peak weeks from May through end of June
Employment dates and remuneration Accordion Closed
A Contract: May 15, 2020 through August 16, 2020
B Contract: May 15, 2020 through July 19, 2020
If hired as a 2020-2020 Resident Assistant (RA), the SHA contract will end early prior to the first day of the RA contract.
$11.00 hourly rate,
Application & hiring process Accordion Closed
- The online application for the SHA position is available through 5 p.m. on Monday, February 28, 2020. Apply now!
- Interviews will be held on Monday, March 9, 2020 at North Hall. Applicants will be notified of their status in the process and interview details via NAU e-mail on March 3 by 6 p.m.
- Hiring decisions will be sent via NAU email by Friday, March 16, 2020.
- If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Equity and Access Office at 928-523-3312 or email at email@example.com.