Student employment - desk manager
Desk managers provide oversight for front desk operationsThe purpose of the residence hall front desk is to be a resource for residents, staff, and visitors to the community. Housing staff strive to provide a service-oriented atmosphere at the front desks where people feel comfortable coming for all types of assistance. Front desk staff members also provide security and safety assistance that directly affects the building residents.Desk Managers are asked to fulfill the responsibilities outlined below. Training will be provided both at a central level and at an individual community level to ensure successful understanding of work tasks and functions.
Academic year responsibilities Accordion Closed
- Oversee all aspects of managing a residence hall front desk, including desk organization and operation
- Maintain a 20-hour work week of scheduled desk hours and administrative hours
- Promote an atmosphere of exceptional customer service
- Role model professional and positive behavior
- Collaborate with Desk Manager Team to improve front desk processes and procedures
- Hire desk assistant staff; train all staff on front desk operations/responsibilities
- Schedule Desk Assistants to cover desk hours including breaks and holidays
- Supervise staff while working their desk shifts and evaluate their performance (both on-going verbal feedback and once-a-semester written evaluation)
- Manage payroll processes in accordance with university timelines and procedures
- Conduct regular key audits and maintain accurate accounting of keys, key codes, etc.
- Inventory and maintain equipment and hall resources; conduct regular resource audit and maintain accurate inventories within StarRez Housing Information System
- Assist RHD (Residence Hall Director) with tracking and/or processing charges
- Regularly communicate and outreach to RHD and hall staff as needed
- Frequently communicate with hall staff regarding student needs and concerns
- Work collaboratively with RHD and residence hall staff
- Provide Oversight of mail and package services that arrive to the front desk
- Assist with hall opening, closing, and semester/summer transition periods
- Provide oversight of front desk lost and found
- Provide ongoing feedback to hall staff about areas for enhanced desk service, process improvements, etc.
- Follow through with tasks or duties as assigned by supervisor(s)
- Participate in building and departmental meetings, trainings, and in-services
- Must be available to attend RA Staff Meetings scheduled from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. on Wednesdays or as needed.
- Must be able to attend weekly Desk Manager Staff Meetings to be scheduled at the start of each semester.
- Must be able to attend Academic year Desk Manager Training in August (Date to be determined)
- Must be able to attend cross training in Mid-November into the first week of December
- Must be able to cover and manage assigned residence hall front desk during fall and spring opening weeks
- Monitor building safety and security utilizing Lenel card access and door monitoring system
- Other administrative duties as assigned
Additional summer responsibilities Accordion Closed
(summer availability preferred)
- Collaborate as a team member with other Desk Managers
- Maintain a 40-hour work week of scheduled desk hours and administrative hours
- Supervise summer staff while working their desk shifts and provide feedback to enhance their performance
- Assist with summer group procedures such as rooming lists, floor plans, check-in/checkout, invoicing, etc.
- Manage desk related preparations for building and group transitions
- Provide oversight of check-in/checkout processes at desk(s) as needed
- Participate in summer meetings, trainings, and in-services
- Other administrative duties as assigned
Time considerations Accordion Closed
- If you are involved in any of the below, there is a potential for time conflicts with the DM position, especially for juniors and seniors. This does not indicate that you are ineligible to become a DM, but you should review your time commitments for upcoming semesters to be aware in advance of any potential conflicts. This is not an exhaustive list. Please contact email@example.com if you have concerns about your academic commitments.
- Athletic Training/Physical Therapy
- Parks and Rec
- Military Science
- Dental Hygiene
Minimum qualifications Accordion Closed
- At time of application, have at least a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average (GPA). If offered a Desk Manager position or alternate Desk Manager Status, you must maintain a 2.5 semester and cumulative GPA to remain eligible for the position.
- Have completed at least 24 credit hours (from NAU or another institution) by the start of employment.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at NAU (12 credit hours for undergraduate students or 9 credit hours for graduate students) during the fall and spring semesters of employment in order to remain eligible for the Desk Manager position. CCC2NAU enrollment does not meet this requirement.
- Candidates must be in good standing with the University. Those currently sanctioned with University and/or Contract Probation through Housing and Residential Life and/or the Office of Student Life are ineligible for consideration.
- Previous employment experience
Preferred qualifications Accordion Closed
- Supervisory experience
- Experience providing high quality customer service
- Effective communication
- Strong administrative and time management skills
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to lead peers and create a cohesive team
Unemployment compensation/leave/vacation Accordion Closed
Student employment positions are not considered permanent employment, therefore, are not eligible for unemployment compensation benefits upon discontinuation of employment. Student employees are not eligible to receive paid vacation, sick leave, holiday leave, life or medical insurance programs, retirement benefits, or payment of hours worked due to an official University closure. Time off and vacation requests by approval only and may not be available during determined peak times such as hall opening and closing, semester transitions, and mid-May through the end of June.
Employment dates, work hours and remuneration Accordion Closed
- Preferred dates: May 2020 – May 2021
- Required dates: August 2020 – May 2021
- Remuneration: Rate provided at $12.00 per hour (Optional summer housing available)
- Work Hours: Specified weekend and evening commitments that constitute a portion of standard working hours including hall opening, closing, and semester/summer transition periods.
Continued employment & Re-appointment Accordion Closed
Continued employment as a Desk Manager is contingent upon fulfilling the responsibilities outlined in this agreement and satisfactory performance on a Performance Evaluation as determined by the Program Coordinator, Sr. Eligible Desk Managers may re-apply for another year of employment should they desire. Applications are made available during the end of the fall/beginning of spring semester, dependent upon the employment dates outlined above. Factors for consideration for re-appointment include, at minimum, 2.5 GPA requirement, satisfactory performance on a Performance Evaluation, supervisory support, enrollment at NAU and a completed application.
Application process Accordion Closed
Equal employment opportunityNorthern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples. EEO Law Poster NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
About NAU Housing and Residence LifeOur residence halls offer the perfect recipe for student living, mixing the right amount of comfort, fun, and academic support, all a short walking distance from your classes. We offer Freshman Housing, Residential Learning Communities, Upper Division Housing, Family Housing, Fraternity and Sorority Life Housing, Gender Inclusive Housing, International (I-House) Housing and Summer Housing options.
Important Dates to Remember:
- Application Opens November 27 8:00am
- Application Closes January 17 at 12:00pm
- Interview time selection begins on January 21 at 8:00am and closes January 24th at 12:00pm
- Interviews begin January 27