Preparing for move-in
Things to do to before you arrive
- Contact your roommates(s) – To find your roommate’s email, return to your application status page in the housing portal. Select “View Details” next to your roommate under the occupancy section of the page. Your roommate’s NAU e-mail address will be shown in that window along with their personal bio and answers to their roommate questionnaire. Send your roommate an e-mail to introduce yourself and start comparing notes on what you plan to bring. If you are unsure of how to start that conversation, here are a few suggestions of what to include in your e-mail:
- preferred name and where you’re from
- what you are looking forward to at NAU
- interests and what you like to do in your spare time
- invitation to talk on the phone to get know each other and discuss what you are each bringing with you
Check your NAU e-mail on a regular basis as your roommate(s) may have already sent you a message. If you do not yet have a room assignment or roommate listed, check back again in August.
- Start to pack – Consult our “What to Bring” list for ideas on what to bring and not to bring with you to campus. Keep it simple and start with essentials. You likely already have most of what you need!
- Consider renters insurance.
- Complete a personal property inventory form – Make a master list of everything you’re bringing to campus while you are packing. You can use our Personal Property Inventory Form to document belongings and record details for future reference.
- Learn about sustainable living at NAU – Find out what you can do to help make environmentally responsible choices while preparing to live in the residence hall.
- Read the Standards of Residence – Policies and expectations are established for all students living in residence halls, and are important for you to understand before arriving to campus.
- Learn how to get around campus – Need to purchase your parking permit? Not bringing a car to campus? Review the Campus Shuttle Service Quick Reference Map to locate convenient bus stops.
- Obtain your Jacks Card – Your JacksCard student ID is used to access all exterior doors to your residence hall which are locked 24/7. If you are a new student and haven’t yet submitted your photo, please do so now. After unloading your belongings and returning your blue bin from your move-in appointment, you will pick up your JacksCard from the designated location assigned to you in late July. You will receive additional details and directions at that time.