Whether you are moving to a new room or leaving the NAU campus, you will need to check out of your current space.
Preparing to check out
- Move all of your belongings fully out of your room, living space and hallway area.
- Thoroughly clean your room and shared living spaces:
- Clean your refrigerator.
- Remove all decorations and poster putty, tape, strips, etc. from walls and doors.
- Clean out and wipe down all drawers and shelves.
- Dust/clean all surfaces of furniture, sink, mirror, window/sill, heater, closet/wardrobe, etc.
- Vacuum floor. If you use a vacuum from the front desk, you must clean the roller/brush and/or bag before returning it to the front desk.
- Clean the inside and outside of trash and recycling cans in your room.
- If you live in a suite or apartment, clean all shared spaces including sink(s), shower(s), toilet(s), and appliances (oven/stove, washer/dryer, etc.)
- Empty all personal trash and recycling in the designated dumpsters outside of the building only.
- Return furniture to the standard room layout and re-adjust the bed height to the designated level.
- Lock your window and close your blinds.
- Remember to take your bike if you have one stored or in the bike racks.
Online checkout Accordion Closed
Once you have completed all of the preparation steps above, follow these steps to officially check out of the residence hall:
- Log into the housing portal and select “Resources and forms” from the menu. Then select “Online Checkout” follow the prompts to complete the online checkout process.
- Lock your doors.
- Physically hand your key(s) directly to a staff member within 30 minutes of completing your online checkout:
- When desk is open – hand in key(s) at the front desk
- When desk is closed – hand in key(s) to the on-call staff (desk hours and on-call phone number posted at each front desk)
Your building card access will end within minutes of your checkout.
Avoid charges Accordion Closed
Complete the checkout process thoroughly and accurately to avoid the following charges:
|Reason for Charge||Amount|
|Improper/Late Checkout Charge: not completing online checkout OR checking out later than 9am on May 8 (or later than a pre-approved extended checkout time)||$50|
|Lost/Non-Returned Key Charge: not turning in a room, apartment or mailbox key directly to a staff member||$50 per key|
|Furniture Reset Charge: not setting your furniture and/or bed height back to the standard layout||$50|
|Cleaning Charge: not fully cleaning your room/living space and/or leaving personal trash/recycling anywhere besides the designated dumpsters outside of the building||$50/hour|
(1 hour minimum)
|Patch/Paint Charge: any significant wall damage including large number and/or size of holes; and/or walls that have to be repainted due to damage||$100/wall|
|Damaged/Missing Item Charge: missing or damaged items, not due to normal wear and tear, charged the cost of replacement/repair including labor||$50 minimum|
The online checkout will ask if there are any missing or damaged items in your room/living space, a description of the item(s) and reason. Staff will also complete a walk-through of all rooms to identify missing and damaged items, and will submit charges accordingly. If you have a question about a potential charge, please consult with your hall staff.
Parking information Accordion Closed
- All vehicles at all times must be parked in between designated stall lines (two white lines). The only exception will be on central campus in the designated areas along University Drive and Knoles Drive marked by traffic cones and signs. Parking is not permitted in fire lanes, disabled stalls, service vehicle stalls or in roadways to load your car. This service is provided only during move-in and is properly staffed at that time to ensure safety.
- For Spring 2020, families picking up their student can park in resident lots for one day without a permit.
Leaving early? Accordion Closed
If you are moving out due to Covid-19 please review the Housing and Dining Covid-19 FAQ.