Information on how to avoid charges when you are terminating your housing contract early.
Not returning this spring?
Please review “Terminating the housing contract” if you do not plan to return this spring. The housing contract is for the 2019-2020 academic year and you are financially responsible for both the fall and spring semesters housing rent charges if you remain a registered student at NAU. If you qualify for a Contract Termination, you must officially check out of the residence hall within 24 hours of your last final exam, or by 9 a.m. Friday, December 13 if you have a Thursday exam.
Preparing to check out
- Move all of your belongings fully out of your room, living space and hallway area.
- Thoroughly clean your room and shared living spaces:
- Clean your refrigerator.
- Remove all decorations and poster putty, tape, strips, etc. from walls and doors.
- Clean out and wipe down all drawers and shelves.
- Dust/clean all surfaces of furniture, sink, mirror, window/sill, heater, closet/wardrobe, etc.
- Vacuum floor. If you use a vacuum from the front desk, you must clean the roller/brush and/or bag before returning it to the front desk.
- Clean the inside and outside of trash and recycling cans in your room.
- If you live in a suite or apartment, clean all shared spaces including sink(s), shower(s), toilet(s), and appliances (oven/stove, washer/dryer, etc.)
- Empty all personal trash and recycling in the designated dumpsters outside of the building only.
- Return furniture to the standard room layout and re-adjust the bed height to the designated level.
- Lock your window and close your blinds.
- Remember to take your bike if you have one stored or in the bike racks.
Online express checkout
Once you have completed all of the preparation steps above, follow these steps to officially check out of the residence hall:
- Log into the housing portal and select “Resources and forms” from the menu. Then select “Online Express Checkout” follow the guided questions to complete your online express checkout.
- Lock your door.
- Physically hand your key(s) directly to a staff member within 30 minutes of completing your online checkout:
- When desk is open – hand in key(s) at the front desk
- When desk is closed – hand in key(s) to the RA-on-call (desk hours and on-call phone number posted at each front desk)
Your building card access will end within an hour of your checkout.
Complete the checkout process thoroughly and accurately to avoid the following charges:
|Reason for Charge||Amount|
|Improper/Late Checkout Charge: not completing online checkout OR checking out later than 9am on December 13 (or later than a pre-approved extended checkout time)||$50|
|Lost/Non-Returned Key Charge: not turning in a room, apartment or mailbox key directly to a staff member||$50 per key|
|Furniture Reset Charge: not setting your furniture and/or bed height back to the standard layout||$50|
|Cleaning Charge: not fully cleaning your room/living space and/or leaving personal trash/recycling anywhere besides the designated dumpsters outside of the building||$50/hour|
(1 hour minimum)
|Patch/Paint Charge: any significant wall damage including large number and/or size of holes; and/or walls that have to be repainted due to damage||$100/wall|
|Damaged/Missing Item Charge: missing or damaged items, not due to normal wear and tear, charged the cost of replacement/repair including labor||$50 minimum|
Your online express checkout will ask if there are any missing or damaged items in your room/living space, a description of the item(s) and reason. Staff will also complete a walk-through of all rooms to identify missing and damaged items, and will submit charges accordingly. If you have a question about a potential charge, please consult with your RA.