It’s almost time to move out!
Let the winter begin
Thank you for living on campus this fall! We hope you have enjoyed your experience in your residence hall. Please review the following detailed information as you prepare to move out. Take note of the important dates, online checkout process and parking restrictions to ensure a smooth departure.
Preparing to move out Accordion Closed
If you plan to return to NAU for spring semester 2020, you do not need to check out of your residence hall. Most halls are closed over winter break so make sure that you take items that you may need with you over the closure.
If you qualify for a Contract Termination, please follow these steps prior to checking out of the residence hall:
- Move all of your belongings fully out of your room, living space and hallway area.
- Thoroughly clean your room and shared living spaces:
- Clean your refrigerator.
- Make sure the refrigerator is unplugged, defrosted and dry with door left open. (Raymond & Tinsley: clean out the refrigerator but leave plugged in)
- Remove all decorations and poster putty, tape, strips, etc. from walls and doors.
- Clean out and wipe down all drawers and shelves.
- Dust/clean all surfaces of furniture, sink, mirror, window/sill, heater, closet/wardrobe, etc.
- Vacuum floor. If you use a vacuum from the front desk, you must clean the roller/brush and/or bag before returning it to the front desk.
- Clean the inside and outside of trash and recycling cans in your room.
- If you live in a suite or apartment, clean all shared spaces including sink(s), shower(s), toilet(s), and appliances (oven/stove, washer/dryer, etc.) using the specific directions posted on nearby bulletin boards.
- Bring all personal trash and recycling to the designated dumpsters outside of the building only.
- Return furniture to the standard room layout and re-adjust the bed height to the designated level (refer to nearby bulletin boards for floor plan).
- Lock your window and close your blinds.
- Remember to take your bike if you have one stored or in the bike racks.
Preparing to leave NAU Accordion Closed
Please review Terminating the housing contract before checking out of your residence hall. The housing contract is for the 2019-2020 academic year and you are financially responsible for both the fall and spring semesters housing rent charges if you remain a registered student at NAU.
If you qualify for a Contract Termination, please review the Preparing to leave for winter break tab above to prepare your room for your departure and the following additional steps to officially check out of the residence hall:
- Log into the housing portal and select “Online Checkout” from the Resources and Forms section. Follow the guided questions to complete your online express checkout.
- Lock your door.
- Physically hand your key(s) directly to a staff member within 30 minutes of completing your online checkout:
- When desk is open – hand in key(s) at the front desk
- When desk is closed – hand in key(s) to the RA-on-call (desk hours and on-call phone number posted at each front desk)
Your building card access will end within an hour of your checkout.
Avoid charges Accordion Closed
Complete the checkout process thoroughly and accurately to avoid the following charges:
|Reason for Charge||Amount|
|Improper/Late Checkout Charge: not completing online checkout OR checking out later than 9am on May 10 (or later than a pre-approved extended checkout time)||$50|
|Lost/Non-Returned Key Charge: not turning in a room, apartment or mailbox key directly to a staff member||$50 per key|
|Furniture Reset Charge: not setting your furniture and/or bed height back to the standard layout||$50|
|Cleaning Charge: not fully cleaning your room/living space and/or leaving personal trash/recycling anywhere besides the designated dumpsters outside of the building||$50/hour|
(1 hour minimum)
|Patch/Paint Charge: any significant wall damage including large number and/or size of holes; and/or walls that have to be repainted due to damage||$100/wall|
|Damaged/Missing Item Charge: missing or damaged items, not due to normal wear and tear, charged the cost of replacement/repair including labor||$50 minimum|
Your online express checkout will ask if there are any missing or damaged items in your room/living space, a description of the item(s) and reason. Staff will also complete a walk-through of all rooms to identify missing and damaged items, and will submit charges accordingly. If you have a question about a potential charge, please consult with your RA.
Parking information Accordion Closed
Over Thanksgiving and winter break, there are typically alternative parking plans communicated to students with parking passes. Watch for more information from University Transit Services