Whether you are moving to a new room or leaving the NAU campus, you will need to check out of your current space.
- Plan to attend a community closing meeting between April 4 – April 11. Specific details about date, time, and location will be shared by your RA.
- 22-hour quiet hours begin at 7:00pm on Sunday, April 18. There are courtesy hours from 5:00-7:00pm daily.
- 24-hour quiet hours begin at 7:00pm on Sunday, April 25 through 10:00am on Saturday, May 1.
- Residents should plan to leave 24 hours after their last exam. Buildings all officially close for Spring 2021 on Thursday, May 6 at 9:00am.
Starting April 1, sign up for a move-out appointment in the Resources and Forms section of the housing portal. Staff will follow up with those who do not have an appointment.
Follow the “How to move out and avoid charges” lists to thoroughly clean your room and shared living spaces.
At the time of your chosen move-out appointment, log into the housing portal to complete Online Checkout, located in the Resources and Forms section. Follow the guided questions to complete your online express checkout. Physically return your key(s) within your 30 minute move-out appointment.
If you have a change in your schedule or need more time to prepare your space, please reschedule your move-out day and time through the housing portal.
Schedule a move-out appointment Accordion Closed
Starting April 1, you will be able to log into the housing portal to select your specific 30-minute move-out appointment. Appointments are staggered by date and by residence hall to support physical distancing.
You will have many appointments to select from between April 1-30. Appointment times will allow you to return your key to staff upon completing your online express checkout. Residents may change their appointment day/time as often as needed to accommodate their schedule.
For students requiring housing after April 30, we will gather additional information prior to you arranging your move-out appointment.
Prepare to move out Accordion Closed
Use the Room move-out lists to thoroughly clean your space. Keep in mind this information:
- Bring donation items for local community agencies to the designated “Donate, Don’t Ditch” collection area near front desk (starting April 23):
- Gently-used clothing
- Household goods, electronics and small appliances
- Non-perishable food (unopened)
- Unused school supplies and books
- Cleaning supplies (partially used are OK)
- There are helpful online instructions to walk you through cleaning appliances, such as refrigerators and ovens/stoves.
- The standard room layout is in the “Room features” section of your building. Make sure your furniture is reset to this layout, including re-adjusting the bed height to the designated level.
- Finally, remember to take your bike if you have one stored or in the bike racks!
Room move-out list Accordion Closed
Traditional Room Move-Out List
Use this list if you live in:
- Allen Hall
- Campbell Hall
- Cowden Hall
- McConnell Hall
- Morton Hall
- Reilly Hall
- Sechrist Hall
- Taylor Hall
- Tinsley Hall
- Wilson Hall
Suite-Style Room Move-Out List
Use this list if you live in:
- Calderon Hall
- Honors College
- Gabaldon Hall
- Mountain View Hall
Avoid charges Accordion Closed
Complete the checkout process thoroughly and accurately to avoid the following charges:
|Reason for Charge||Amount|
|Improper/Late Checkout Charge: not completing online checkout, checking out after official checkout date, or later than a pre-approved extended checkout time.||$50|
|Lost/Non-Returned Key Charge: not turning in a room, apartment or mailbox key.||$50 per key|
|Furniture Reset Charge: not setting your furniture and/or bed height back to the standard layout.||$50|
|Cleaning Charge: not fully cleaning your room/living space and/or leaving personal trash/recycling anywhere besides the designated dumpsters outside of the building.||$50/hour|
(1 hour minimum)
|Patch/Paint Charge: any significant wall damage including large number and/or size of holes; and/or walls that have to be repainted due to damage.||$100/wall|
|Damaged/Missing Item Charge: missing or damaged items, not due to normal wear and tear, charged the cost of replacement/repair including labor.||$50 minimum|
The online checkout will ask if there are any missing or damaged items in your room/living space, a description of the item(s) and reason. Staff will also complete a walk-through of all rooms to identify missing and damaged items, and will submit charges accordingly. If you have a question about a potential charge, please consult with your hall staff.
Complete Online Express Checkout Accordion Closed
- Log into the housing portal to complete Online Checkout, located in the Resources and Forms section. Follow the guided questions to complete your online express checkout.
- Lock your door.
- Physically return your key(s) within your 30-minute move-out appointment.
- When desk is open, keys must be directly returned to a staff member.
- If the desk is not staffed, drop your keys in the key box near the desk. Use and complete the key envelope to avoid rekey charges.
Your building card access will end within minutes of your checkout.
If you are checking out before April 15, please review contract terms and conditions and information about terminating the housing contract.
Guest move-out helpers Accordion Closed
During your designated move-out, you are permitted to have up to two guest move-out helpers to assist with moving personal items:
- For everyone’s health and safety, guest helpers should be 18+ years of age. Please arrange child care in advance of move-out.
- All residents and guest helpers must wear masks/face coverings, follow all physical distancing guidelines and adhere to University policies.
- Plan ahead with packing. Pack efficiently for a smooth move-out. Limit time in hallways and public areas to maintain physical distancing, and always wear a mask/face covering outside of your room.
- Spend time with guests and family outside. Explore campus and take pictures while maintaining physical distance from others. Please adhere to your move-out appointment time.
- Guests can use the finding your hall page for the best way to reach your building. Make sure they are familiar with the “Parking information” tab on this page.
Parking information Accordion Closed
- Permit holders must always ensure cars are parked in between designated stall lines (two white lines) within their designated permit parking zone unless permission is granted by University Transit Services.
- Parking is not permitted in fire lanes, disabled stalls, service vehicle stalls, pedestrian walkways or in roadways.
- For your move-out day: If you have non-NAU student move-out helpers with vehicles, please print temporary move-out parking passes from the housing portal for each dashboard. This will allow your guests’ vehicles to park for up to three hours without an NAU permit.
Leaving before April 15? Accordion Closed
Please review your contract terms and conditions and terminating the housing contract.
Need summer housing? Accordion Closed
Summer housing options are available for students registered for summer classes or preregistered for the fall semester. Students currently living in NAU-managed housing who are approved for summer housing will automatically receive an extended checkout. You will be notified by email in late April of the date to move to your summer assignment (May 1-9).
Check your NAU email
Continue to check your NAU email regularly to stay up to date on important closing information and additional details preparing you for move-out day!