How to apply for housing
Freshman housing application process
The following application terms are currently available:
- 2022 Spring Only (January 2022-May 2022) Opened October 1, 2021
- 2022-2023 Academic Year (August 2022-May 2023) Opened October 1, 2021
Admission offer Accordion Closed
Congratulations on your decision to attend NAU! We are excited that you are considering campus housing. One-two days after accepting your offer of NAU admission, you will be able to apply for housing.
Housing application Accordion Closed
Log into the housing portal using your NAU user ID and password. Then follow the step-by-step directions to complete your application. You will be notified at your NAU email when you may pay the $100 non-refundable application fee
You will be asked to electronically sign that you have read, understand and agree to the terms and conditions of the license agreement. The license agreement is binding for the entire academic year, both fall and spring semesters. Students are legally responsible for the financial fulfillment of this contractual agreement. Note: Students who are under 18 at the time of application must have a parent or legal guardian also electronically agree to the terms and conditions of the contract.
Note: If you try to log in to apply and receive a Login Error message, your enrollment deposit is still being processed, and access to the application should be available by the next day.
Roommates Accordion Closed
In your housing application, you will complete a roommate questionnaire to assist with roommate matching. You also have the option to add a personal bio to help others get to know your personality, interests, hobbies and what you are hoping for in your roommate experience.
You will have the option to search, request and accept specific roommate requests (based on space availability), or to accept a non-specific roommate in your Academic College. Your roommate questionnaire is used to determine and display potential best-matched roommates. There are three ways to search for and request roommates:
- Browse Overall Best-Matched Roommates – you can see others whose responses to the roommate questionnaire were similar to yours and are not currently part of a group
- Browse Best-Matched Roommates Based on Specific Questions – you can browse the profiles of others who answered a roommate questionnaire question a certain way and are not currently part of a group
- Browse Best-Matched Roommates within Academic Major – you can browse best-matched roommate based on your specific major
- Search and Request a Specific Roommate – you can find a specific person by their NAU UserID (abc123) or Web Name (42587)
View roommate profiles to see their academic college and personal bios to help you find compatible roommates. Roommate requests must be accepted prior to room selection in order to pull them in with you. Using the roommate search tool is optional. If you do not request/accept a roommate prior to room selection, another student will select or be placed in the other space(s) in your room.
The online housing application allows students to create groups of potential roommates. When you initiate a roommate request, a group is automatically created.
- The person who initiates the invitation becomes the group leader.
- Those who accept invitations become group members.
- A roommate group may consist of 2-4 members.
- You can only be part of one roommate group at a time.
When you invite others or have been invited to a roommate group, you will see a list of pending requests.
- “Pending Outgoing Requests” are those people you or a group member have invited to be part of your roommate group and are awaiting their decision to accept or decline.
- “Pending Incoming Requests” are invitations from others to be part of their group and are awaiting your decision to accept or decline.
- Those who accept invitations are displayed as group members.
- Those who decline will not become a group member and will be removed from Pending Incoming/Outgoing Requests.
- Any group member can invite others or cancel pending requests.
Leaving a roommate group
- If you no longer want to be part of a group, you will need to first remove yourself from your current group.
- While a member of a group, you will not be able to be invited to other groups. To be added to a different group, first remove yourself from your current group.
- If you are the group leader, you will need to Pass Leadership to another member before leaving the group.
Placing group members during room selection
- Please note: A roommate group serves as a request to live together. It does not guarantee placement, as it is dependent on space availability at the time of room selection.
- Any group member can place other group members during room selection based on space availability.
- Roommate requests must be accepted prior to room selection and placed at the time of initial room selection. You will not be able to later add roommates if you have already selected a room without them.
- The group member with the earliest room selection time should place other group members for greatest availability.
- The person completing room selection should first place themselves and then assign as many group members as will fill the available space in the unit (i.e. up to two roommates in a fully available Raymond apartment). Discuss alternative plans with potential roommates prior to room selection in case your desired hall or space is not available at the time of your room selection.
For more details on the roommate search and request processes, tips for a successful roommate experience and additional resources, visit our Roommate Success Guide.
Room selection/assignment Accordion Closed
- Room selection is based on the dates you complete your housing application
- You will be notified of your designated room selection start time through NAU email prior to your start time.
- At (or after) your designated time, you can log into the housing portal to select your room from any space available at that time.
- Honors College:
- once admitted to the Honors College, you will be provided a room selection time to choose your room in the Honors College (you must also have completed a housing application).
- if you select a room prior to being accepted into the Honors College, your initial room will be will be cancelled and you will be provided a new room selection time to choose a room in the Honors College.
Redo room selection
If you want to change your room selection, you will have the option to redo room selection on the application status page in the housing portal, which displays current available space.
Room selection guide Accordion Closed
Each box on the room selection page contains a bedroom. Details in the box describe the room type, how many total beds in the room, and how many of those beds are currently available to select. You will select Ready to Assign Beds when you are ready to assign yourself (and roommates) to beds. Please mind the count-down clock in the upper-right as you will have limited time to assign the bed and confirm the placement of yourself (and roommates) in the space(s) you have selected.
Images are representations. Room letter designations may vary by suite/apt.
Important information for those in a roommate group:
- If you would like to place group members in the same room with you, you should do so at the time of initial room selection.
- Finalize your roommate group prior to room selection if you want to place all roommate group members.
- If you are selecting a Semi-Suite Single in Honors College, please be sure to select both halves of the room as indicated in the graphic below. You must pay attention to the number of available beds in the room, as everything is based on space availability.
Images are representations. Room letter designations may vary by suite/apt.
Housing rent confirmation payment (HRCP) Accordion Closed
- A $175 housing rent confirmation payment (HRCP) is required to hold your space on campus. This payment applies toward your first semester rent.
- The HRCP due by designated date. If you do not make this payment by the due date, your housing application will be cancelled.
- 2022-2023 Academic Year – Due May 15, 2022
- 2023 Spring Only – Due Nov 15, 2022
- If you apply after designated date, your HRCP will be due within seven (7) days of your application.
- The $175 HRCP will be refunded to your account if you cancel by May 15 (November 15 for spring only).
- The $175 HRCP is non-refundable if you cancel after May 15 (November 15 for spring only).
Students 21 or over Accordion Closed
If you are an incoming freshman 21 or over, or will turn 21 by the beginning of the academic year, you will be assigned to an upper-division hall. Your specific hall assignment will be based on space availability.