Winter break is almost here!
As the days get shorter and the nights chillier, you start to feel winter break quickly approaching. Residence halls close for winter break at 9 a.m. on Friday, December 13. Residence halls remain locked and card access deactivated until spring opening at 9 a.m. on January 11, unless designated for winter term housing. As you prepare for the end of the fall semester, please review the following details.
Important fall closing dates Accordion Closed
Quiet hours Accordion Closed
To support all residents in their academic success, extended quiet hours will be in place for the last two weeks of the semester:
- Reading Week (December 1-December 7) has 22-hour quiet hours in effect, with daily courtesy hours from 5-7 p.m.
- Finals Week (December 8-December 13) has 24-hour quiet hours in effect.
Preparing your room for winter break Accordion Closed
Please make arrangements to leave the hall within 24 hours after your last final exam or by 9 a.m. on Friday if you have a Thursday exam.
Before you leave
- Clean out your refrigerator and remove all perishable items.
- Clean your room and empty your trash and recycling.
- Unplug everything in your room except your refrigerator. If you have a fish tank with a self-feeder you can leave it plugged in.
- Remove all obstructions on or around radiator/heater.
- Turn off faucets tightly. Call work control at 523-4227 if it drips or if you have any other maintenance needs.
- If you live in a suite or apartment, clean all bathrooms, tubs/showers and kitchen before leaving. It is the responsibility of all residents in the unit to clean the shared areas. Please note that if an area needs excessive cleaning, custodial staff will be brought in and the related charge will be applied to all residents of the suite or apartment.
- Leave thermostat at the following settings:
- Allen/Cowden – 5
- Calderón – 3
- Campus Heights/McKay/Pine Ridge/South Village – 64
- Gabaldon/Tinsley/Wilson – High
- Gillenwater – 4
- Honors College -68
- Close and lock windows, and close the blinds. Lock your door before leaving.
Please note that residence hall staff will enter each room to ensure rooms have been vacated, lights are off, everything is unplugged (except refrigerator and fish tanks), there are no safety hazards, and the room is locked. Maintenance personnel may also enter your room during the break to perform basic maintenance activities.
Don’t forget to take valuable personal items
If you are returning this spring, you do not have to remove all of your belongings. However, please remember to take your cell phone, laptop, chargers, eyeglasses, medicine, plants, etc. Unless designated for winter term housing, there is no access to your residence hall over the break.
Open space in your room? Accordion Closed
If there is or will be an open space in your room/unit, please note the following:
- Staff will enter your room/unit over the winter break to clean and prepare the other half of your room for a new resident.
- Please remove all personal items off the vacant bed, dresser and desk, off the floor for carpet extraction, and away from the sink.
- If your room is not prepared for a new roommate, you will be charged $50 and any excessive cleaning fees.
Not returning this spring? Accordion Closed
Visit move-out details to learn how to move out and avoid charges.
Parking information Accordion Closed
Over Thanksgiving and winter break, there are typically alternative parking plans communicated to students with parking passes. Watch for more information from University Transit Services