Robert J. Goodman, Ph.D.
Blg 60 Rm #376
PhD Virginia Commonwealth University, 2014
MA Cleveland State University, 2009
BS Cleveland State University, 2007
Rob Goodman’s research examines the neurological, behavioral, and psychosocial consequences of a particular kind of awareness known as mindfulness. More specifically, he examines the influence of trait, state, and trained mindfulness on several core psychological processes, including attention, emotion, and memory.
How does mindfulness influence the way people experience and regulate emotions? Does mindfulness affect the content and accuracy of episodic memory? Could mindfulness training be applied to seniors and buffer aging-related memory decline? Dr. Goodman’s research takes a social and affective neuroscience approach to examine these questions using a variety of measures, including electroencephalography (EEG), ecological momentary assessment, and other behavioral measures.
- Goodman, R. J., Quaglia, J. T., & Brown, K. W. (2015). Burning Issues in Dispositional Mindfulness Research. For invited chapter in B.D. Ostafin, M.D. Robinson, & B.P. Meier (Eds.) Mindfulness and Self-Regulation. Springer.
- Quaglia, J. T., Goodman, R. J., & Brown, K. W. (2015). Trait Mindfulness Predicts Efficient Top-Down Attention to and Discrimination of Facial Expressions. Journal of Personality. DOI: 10.1111/jopy.12167
- Quaglia, J. T., Brown, K. W., Lindsay, E. K., Creswell, J. D., & Goodman, R.J. (2015). From Conceptualization to Operationalization of Mindfulness For invited chapter in K.W. Brown, J. D. Creswell, & R. M. Ryan (Eds.) Handbook of Mindfulness: Theory & Research. Guilford Press: New York.
- Quaglia, J. T., Goodman, R. J., & Brown, K. W. (2014). From mindful attention to social connection: The key role of emotion regulation. Cognition and Emotion. DOI: 10.1080/02699931.2014.988124
- Brown, K. W., Goodman, R. J., & Inzlicht, M. (2013). Dispositional mindfulness and the attenuation of neural responses to emotional stimuli. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 8, 93-99.
- Brown, K. W., Goodman, R. J., Ryan, R. M., & Anālayo, Bh. (2016). Mindfulness enhances episodic memory performance: Evidence from a multimethod investigation. PLoS One. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0160280
- Arch, J. J., Brown, K. W., Goodman, R. J., Della Porta, M. D., Kiken, L. G., & Tillman, S. R. (2016). Enjoying food without caloric cost: The impact of brief mindfulness on laboratory eating outcomes. Behavior Research and Therapy.doi:10.1016/j.brat.2016.02.002
Dr. Goodman teaches undergraduate statistics, group-behavior, graduate social psychology, as well as a senior capstone on mindfulness and meditation.