K. Laurie Dickson, PhD
PhD Developmental Psychology, University of Utah, 1994
MA Developmental Psychology, San Francisco State University, 1990
BA Psychology, Hamline University, 1988
As Vice Provost – Teaching, Learning Design, and Assessment, Dr. Dickson works in collaboration with academic leaders to provide leadership, coordination and support for the teaching and learning mission of NAU. More specifically, she oversees a range of programs including Liberal Studies, First Year Seminar, First Year Learning Initiative, Design Thinking and Innovation, ROTC, e-Learning Center, Faculty Professional Development Program, and the Office of Curriculum, Learning Design, and Academic Assessment. These programs advance excellence in student learning by providing students and faculty with opportunities and resources that promote student academic success. In addition, she leads institution-wide efforts to support our institutional accreditation and serves as the liaison to NAU’s accrediting body (Higher Learning Commission).
- Birkett, M., & Dickson, K.L. (2015). Teacher’s Guide: Think Like a Freak. New York: Random House.
- Bartch, R. A. & Dickson, K. L. (2015). How SoTL can aid in the academic job search. In R. A. Smith, and B. Schwartz (Eds.). Using SoTL to Enhance the Academic Job. Society for the Teaching of Psychology.
- Dickson, K. L. & Treml, M. M. (2013). The link between assessment and scholarship of teaching and learning in R. A. R. Gurung and J. A. Wilson (Eds.) Doing the Scholarship of Teaching Learning: Measuring Systematic Changes to Teaching and Improvements in Learning. (pp. 7 – 16). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Demir, M., Birkett, M., Dickson, K. L., & Miller, M. D. (2013). Solving Problems through Psychology: Science and Application. Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Dickson, K. L. (2012). The hallmark of psychology: Science and application.Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Dickson. K. L. (2012). Critical Analysis: Crib card use in college classrooms. Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. McCarthy, S. N., Cranney, J., Dickson, K. L., Trapp, A., & Karandashev, V. (Eds.). (2012). Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Birkett, M., & Dickson, K. L. (2012). Teacher’s Guide: The Power of Habit – Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business. New York: Random House.
- Funk, S. C., & Dickson, K. L. (2011). Multiple-choice and short answer exam performance in a college classroom. Teaching of Psychology, 38(4), 273-277.
- Funk, S. C., & Dickson, K. L. (2011) Crib card use during tests: Helpful or a crutch? Teaching of Psychology, 38(2), 114-117.
- Wayment, H. A. & Dickson, K. L. (2008). Increasing student participation in undergraduate research benefits students, faculty, and department. Teaching of Psychology, 35(3), 194.
Given Dr. Dickson’s administrative position, she is currently not teaching any psychology courses.
Dr. Dickson was honored to be named a President’s Distinguished Teaching Fellow in 2013, to receive the NAU President’s Award for Faculty in 2011 and to be awarded the Outstanding Teacher of the Year award in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences in 2000.