Merit-based awards for out-of-state students
Our Blue and Gold merit scholarships can help academically motivated out-of-state students achieve their educational goals at Northern Arizona University.
Freshmen applicants who have been admitted to the university may qualify to receive a total of $16,000 to $20,000 in scholarships over four years. These scholarships can be applied in addition to the reduced tuition rate you may automatically be eligible for as part of the Western Undergraduate Exchange.
Scholarship Information and Criteria
No separate application is required. These scholarships are awarded regardless of financial need and based on the criteria below.
This merit scholarship can be applied to qualified students’ (non-refundable) annual undergraduate Western Undergraduate Exchange tuition. Each Blue scholarship award is $4,000 and each Gold scholarship award is $5,000. The award will be applied equally between the fall and spring semesters, for a total of up to of eight consecutive semesters, if the renewal criteria below is met. This award is not available for summer sessions or winter intersession.
Eligibility Criteria Accordion Closed
- You must be eligible to participate in the Western Undergraduate Exchange
- Test scores of at least 19 on the ACT or SAT taken prior to March 2016 900 combined Math and Verbal score. If taken March 2016 or later, 990 combined Math and Reading score. Have your scores sent directly to NAU when you use these codes on your exam: 0086 (ACT) and 4006 (SAT).
- You must attend Northern Arizona University beginning in the fall 2018 semester. This award cannot be used at other universities or colleges.
- You must accept your offer of admission and pay your enrollment deposit by May 1, 2018.
- NAU’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions must receive your final high school transcript with graduation date by July 1, 2018, and it must reflect achievement similar to what you reported when you applied.
Additional Award Criteria:
- Gold: You must have a minimum cumulative un-weighted GPA of 3.5
- Blue: You must have a minimum cumulative un-weighted GPA of 3.0.
Renewal Criteria Accordion Closed
This award is renewable annually, provided that you meet the following criteria:
- You must attend NAU for the fall and spring semesters as a full-time student. While taking 12 credits per semester is considered full-time, it is recommended that students enroll in at least 15 credits per semester to meet the following academic level progression requirement.
- You must complete enough credit hours at the end of each academic year to progress to the next academic level
Repeated courses do not count toward the credits required to progress to the next academic level.
Additional Award Criteria:
- Gold: You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Blue: You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Combining Awards Accordion Closed
- This award cannot be combined with other tuition awards in an amount that exceeds the reduced WUE tuition rate. It cannot be applied to mandatory or special class fees or to other charges such as housing, meal plans, etc
- Some students may be awarded a scholarship of greater value based upon their academic achievement prior to the beginning of this semester. Students who become eligible for a change in their scholarship amount will be notified.
Please Note:This scholarship award is presented based on data students report with their admission application; the award may be subject to change after evaluating applicants’ final high school transcripts.
We promise our incoming Flagstaff students that they will pay the same tuition rate for up to four years—no increases, guaranteed.
Visit nau.edu/pledge for information.
Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)
Students from one of 14 Western states and one commonwealth may qualify for a reduced tuition that is about 40 percent less than NAU’s out-of-state tuition.