Budgeting for college
Use our variety of tools to help you plan and budget for NAU
- 4 Year Financial Aid Planner
- A printable planner to make sure that you are on track each year.
- Wants vs. Needs Example
- An example of the difference between “needs” and “wants” when it comes to spending money in college. A “want” every once in a while is alright, but they should not be made regular purchases if you are trying to save money. You can fill out your own list here: Wants vs. Needs
There are many online tools available to help you and your family plan and budget for college. Here are a few to get started:
- Budget template
- Use this Excel doc as a guide to building your monthly budget. Fill out the left column and the right will do the math for you – or play with it to see what works best for you!
- Cost per meal template
- Use this Excel doc as a guide to understanding your average cost per meal when you cook at home compared to what it would cost to buy it pre-made from a store or restaurant. On the left are examples of different meals and on the right are blank spots for you to fill in your meal information.
- Paying for College Guide
- College Cost Calculator
- Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) Calculator
- Financial Avenue
- Create an account with access code: fgh44K
- Tuition and fees breakdown (SDAS)
Net price calculator
Northern Arizona University is the most affordable four-year university in Arizona, and our net price calculator can help determine what it will cost you. It can also help estimate financial aid eligibility, including NAU scholarships.