Financial aid application checklist
5 easy steps to apply for financial aid at NAU
- Apply: Apply for admission to Northern Arizona University.
- Complete FAFSA: Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year (NAU School Code: 001082). In addition to federal aid, institutional aid and some scholarships are based on information from your federal aid application.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for accurate and convenient access to your previously completed tax and income information.
- All students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA by April 1. Undergraduate students are considered for limited grant funding.
- Review detailed instructions on filling out the FAFSA or watch the How to Fill Out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) Form
- Review SAR: Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) sent via email from the U.S. Department of Education. Your SAR lists all the information you provided on the FAFSA.
- Review for accuracy and make any corrections online.
- If you don’t receive your SAR within four weeks, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center for a status update.
- Monitor Accounts: Monitor your LOUIE account for items requested by our office. Check your NAU email regularly for important information and updates.
- Review Award Letter: Review your NAU financial aid award letter. New freshmen are awarded beginning in December. Graduate and transfer students are awarded in March. Continuing students are awarded beginning in June. Check your mailbox or inbox for your NAU financial aid award letter.
Is your financial aid award late?
Review your LOUIE To Do List and Holds or contact our office if you are not awarded financial aid within the expected timeline.
Are you a continuing or returning NAU student?
If you are a continuing or returning student to NAU, a minimum of half-time enrollment is required for financial aid to be awarded and will occur after spring grades post.