The Research Greenhouses support university-wide research. Over the past 30 years, we have supported projects that have encompassed many disciplines and departments, including: Biology, Chemistry, Ecological Monitoring and Assessment, Ecological Restoration Institute, Environmental Sciences, Engineering, and Forestry.
During the past decade, our mission has expanded to include:
- growing plants for habitat restoration
- developing a campus arboretum
- developing partnerships with local, state, and federal agencies that are involved with plant production for restoration
- partnering with local communities to build public gardens and educational spaces
- NAU campus native plant landscaping in conjunction with NAU Facility Services
Research Greenhouse projects and activities
Past projects have included research on reestablishing native species after wildfire, threatened alpine plants, riparian restoration, and more. Research on ponderosa pines and climate change, mine remediation, and Colorado River flooding–in addition to many other projects–is currently underway. Learn more about Research Greenhouse projects and activities.
Learn more about the Research Greenhouse facility, including specs and space allocation.