NAU’s Core Safety Values
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility. NAU is committed to providing a campus environment that supports the health and safety practices of our faculty, students, staff and visitors, and empowers each of us to be responsible for the safety of others.
- A safe working and learning environment for all NAU Community Members. As a matter of regulatory compliance and in recognition of duty of care, NAU is committed to best practices for safe work and learning.
- Good science is safe science. Safety is a critical component of scholarly excellence, responsible conduct of research, and daily activities. NAU is committed to the integration of safety into curricular and work design.
- Good design is safe design. NAU’s built environment has an important impact on the usability and safe serviceability of all spaces. NAU is committed to a collaborative design process, which considers the safety of the occupants and skilled trades professionals who provide crucial maintenance operations.
- Safety training is an essential element of employment and education, and a point of differentiation for NAU graduates. NAU strives to instill a culture of safety in our present operations, while modeling industry standards for future graduates.
- An established culture of safety is necessary to reduce risk throughout the academic enterprise. Through commitment to strong safety culture, NAU’s leadership operationalizes the responsibility to reduce risk to our stakeholders, the environment, and the capital investments that comprise our organization.