Choral placement auditions
Process for Students New to NAU Choirs
NAU choral ensembles are open to all students, regardless of major. In addition to music majors and minors, we welcome and depend on undergraduate and graduate students from all programs of study to create a thriving choral community. NAU’s choirs pride themselves in achieving musical excellence in an inclusive and supportive setting. Singers with all levels of experience—from beginner to advanced—are welcome. Whether this is your first choir, or you have extensive choral experience, there is a place for you!
To sing in an NAU Choral Ensemble:
To sing in University Singers, no audition is required. Register for MUP 160-02 and come to the first class rehearsal on Wednesday, August 31.
For all other ensembles:
- Complete the NAU Singer Info Form (Click Here).
- After you complete the form, sign up for your audition time and day by clicking the link in your email or at the end of the form.
- Meet with conductors in the Performing & Fine Arts Building, Room 145 (choir rehearsal room) for your audition
All students should register for a choral ensemble in consultation with their advisor, as a placeholder until you complete the placement audition.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We’re happy to help!
Fall 2022 Placement Audition Schedule: August 26-28
- Shrine of the Ages Choir Auditions: Fri, Aug 26
- Vox Montes, Vox Astra, University Singers: Fri-Sat, Aug 26-27
- Vocal Jazz Ensembles: Sat, Aug 27
- Welcome & Welcome Back Choirs Picnic: Sat, Aug 27, 12 noon, Performing & Fine Arts Building Lawn
- Vocal Jazz Callbacks: Sun, Aug 28
- First rehearsals: Monday, August 29
About the Placement Audition Process
This is an opportunity for you and the NAU conductors to musically get to know each other. We know this can make singers nervous, but know that we aim to be supportive and positive: we want to get to know you and hear your passion for singing! This process helps us identify your ensemble and voice part/range. Sign up for your placement audition by filling out the NAU Singer Info Form (Click Here).
- Sing a Song: You may choose to 1) bring a prepared song or 2) sing a familiar piece like “My country ‘Tis of Thee,” “We shall overcome,” “Amazing Grace,” or “Happy Birthday.” If you bring a prepared song, choose a piece that demonstrates your best musicianship (for music majors/minors, art songs or arias are recommended; bring 1 copy of music for pianist).
- Voice Range:we will explore your vocal range through brief exercises.
- Sight-Singing: for those who read music, we will ask you to sight-read a short excerpt.