Sing with NAU Choirs!
Sign up for Choral Placement Auditions
NAU choral ensembles are open to all students, regardless of major. In addition to music majors and minors, we welcome and depend on undergraduate and graduate students from all programs of study to create a thriving choral community. NAU’s choirs pride themselves in achieving musical excellence in an inclusive and supportive setting. Singers with all levels of experience—from beginner to advanced—are welcome. Whether this is your first choir, or you have extensive choral experience, there is a place for you!
For University Singers:
No audition is needed. Register for MUP 160-02 and come to the first class rehearsal on Wednesday, August 30 in Performing & Fine Arts Building, Room 145 (Choir Room).
For all other ensembles:
2. After you complete the form, you will receive a link to sign up for your audition time and day.
3. Meet with conductors in the Performing & Fine Arts Building, Room 145 (choir rehearsal room) for your audition (Aug 25-27). Over the summer, all students should register for a choral ensemble in consultation with their advisor, as a placeholder until you complete the placement audition. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We’re happy to help!
Fall 2023 Placement Audition Schedule: August 25-27, 2023
- Shrine of the Ages Choir Auditions: Fri, Aug 25
- Vox Montes, Vox Astra: Fri & Sat, Aug 25 & 26
- Vocal Jazz Ensembles: Sat, Aug 26
- Welcome & Welcome Back Choirs Picnic: Sat, Aug 26, 12 noon
- Vocal Jazz Callbacks: Sun, Aug 27
- First rehearsals: Monday, August 28
About the Placement Audition Process
This is an opportunity for you and the NAU conductors to musically get to know each other. We know this can make singers nervous, but know that we aim to be supportive and positive: we want to get to know you and hear your passion for singing! This process helps us identify your ensemble and voice part/range. Sign up for your placement time by filling out the NAU Choral Studies Audition Form.
At your audition we will: explore your range, sing a song, and (if appropriate) sight-sing.
1. Voice Range: we’ll explore your vocal range through brief exercises.
2. Sing a Song: You may choose to
a. bring your own prepared song – Some examples of prepared songs include art song or aria, musical theater, folk songs from around the world, or part of a choir song you’ve sung before. Those interested in vocal jazz: sing a short part of a jazz standard. If you bring a prepared song and you’d like piano accompaniment, please bring the sheet music.
b. sing a well-known piece like My Country ‘Tis of Thee, We Shall Overcome, Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing, Amazing Grace, or Happy Birthday (we’ll have sheet music if you need it).
3. Sight-Singing: for those who read music, we will ask you to sight-read a short excerpt.
Questions? Contact Shannon Spark at 928-523 5190 or email@example.com