Music Performance, Graduate Certificate
University Requirements Tab Open
Overview Tab Closed
Details Tab Closed
Campus Availability Tab Closed
University Requirements Accordion Open
- Graduate certificate programs require a minimum of 12 credit hours. Many certificate programs require more than 12 credit hours.
No more than one 400-level NAU course (3 or 4 units) may be used on a certificate program.
No more than 25% of the units required for the certificate program may be transferred from another university.
A 400-level course (undergraduate course) completed at another university is not eligible for transfer credit.
A minimum grade point average of 3.0 must be achieved to obtain a graduate certificate. No more than three units of coursework with a grade of "C" may be used in a certificate program.
A graduate student may pursue a graduate certificate concurrently with a graduate degree. Each graduate degree program must decide which, if any, certificate courses can be counted toward the graduate degree.
Students who are admitted to a graduate certificate program will be eligible for the official posting of the graduate certificate to their transcripts when all applicable coursework has been successfully completed and approved by the academic unit and the Graduate College.
- Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the “Details” tab for additional information.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing this post-baccalaureate certificate program will:
- comprehend, practice, and demonstrate the fundamentals and advanced technical, musical, and artistic development necessary for success on a primary instrument.
- interpret, distinguish, and demonstrate knowledge of historical performance practices within specific instrumental repertoire.
- synthesize and employ all musical, technical, and theoretical information gathered in repertoire and performance training to prepare for auditions into professional organizations and/or competitive doctoral programs
- classify vocal music repertory within an intellectual and cultural context
- demonstrate and apply knowledge of appropriate vocal literature within a historical context
- comprehend, practice, and demonstrate the fundamentals and advanced technical, musical, and artistic development necessary for success in vocal performance.
- synthesize and employ all musical, technical, and theoretical information gathered in repertoire and performance training to prepare for auditions into professional organizations and/or competitive graduate programs in the United States
Details Accordion Closed
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Personal statement or essay
Take the following 18 units:
- Financial Assistance
- Due to the brevity of the Graduate Certificate in Performance program, financial assistance through the School of Music is not typically available.
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.