What our coaches say
Become a Peak Performance Math Coach!
Enrich lives by creating opportunities
Peak Performance Math Coaches help incoming students refresh their math skills in order to increase their math placement and help them get on-track for their chosen major. Math Coaches also help incoming students become familiar with resources at NAU and ease students’ transition.
Helping students increasing their math placement before they begin their NAU career is the most efficient way for them to take advantage of future opportunities simply because they will have fewer courses to complete before earning their degree. Additional time and energy would be available for other pursuits that will come their way.
This is a part-time online summer math tutoring position. You must have access to the internet and a computer in order to work from May 17 – August 13, 2021.
Math Coaches set their own hours and work from home, connecting with their assigned students, informing them about NAU resources, and helping them with any questions they have about math topics.
How to become a Peak Performance Math Coach
Responsibilities of a coach Accordion Closed
- Help incoming students gain competence in building mathematical skills using NAU math software
- Provide one-on-one tutoring in an online setting using video conferencing
- Help students set achievable academic goals and help them to meet those goals
- Attend weekly video conferences with Team Leaders
- Participate in observations intended to improve your math tutoring skills
- Communicate with your supervisor about any complications
- Maintain accurate records of student outreach and contact
- Submit timely payroll and student activity reports
- Establish and maintain working relationships with students
Minimum requirements needed to apply Accordion Closed
- Must be a currently enrolled student at NAU
- Must maintain a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A. or higher
- Must have completed MAT 125 with a B or higher
- Must list a math instructor as a reference
- Must reside in the United States and be willing to work 15 – 25 hours per week from May 17 – August 13, 2021
- Must successfully complete a 10-week training course (USC 208) that is held 5:30 – 7:30p on Wednesdays from February 18 – April 28, 2021
Preferred qualifications Accordion Closed
- Completed MAT 136 with a B or higher
- Ability to troubleshoot issues with technology
- List a reference from NAU math faculty
Common majors Accordion Closed
- Biology & Biomedical Science
- Computer Science
- Exercise Science
Additional instructions Accordion Closed
In your cover letter, please address or answer the following prompts:
- Describe your interest in tutoring
- Describe any tutoring experience that you may have
- Describe your experience working with diverse populations
- Describe your experience mentoring your peers
- List the highest math course completed/enrolled in at the collegiate level
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT AVAILABILITY: Since this position begins May 17, 2021, we do not need your specific availability at this time.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement Accordion Closed
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples. NAU is an Employer of National Service, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
How to apply Accordion Closed
Preparing your application
We require all applicants to submit a resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Please utilize career development to help you prepare your application and upcoming interview.
Complete the online application on Handshake before October 26.
- Search for Peak Performance Math Coach position in Handshake (#3650757). Click here for a preview.
- Please note that you must be logged into your NAU Handshake account in order to access this application.
- If you need help with Handshake, please contact career development.
- After being selected for an interview, you will need to ask one math instructor (NAU math faculty preferred) and have them complete our online recommendation form. Please be sure to provide them with your NAU student email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for your interest in Peak Performance! We hope to see you soon!