The Bring Your Aspirations campaign
“Bring Your Aspirations” is an institutional brand campaign, meaning that it is intended to build a mass awareness and understanding of the key elements of the NAU brand. At the heart of this campaign is a theme that summarizes the brand position in a memorable way, and can be reflected through various forms of communications in a way that is memorable and builds awareness and penetration of key brand messages.
Other aspects of the university’s brand position are highlighted in sub-brands, such as NAU Athletics, and other targeted campaigns, such as NAU Online’s “At the Speed of You” campaign, which emphasizes our personalized, student-centric approach to delivering a high quality education and is sometimes used in tandem with the “Aspirations” campaign.
Our sub-brands and campaigns ladder up to the overall university brand; they do not compete with it. In fact, the institutional brand and the college and unit sub-brands should complement and enhance each other’s resonance with key stakeholders.
Bring Your Aspirations brand campaign strategy Accordion Closed
Our brand platform and campaign:
- drive key themes that build awareness and credibility for our offer, as well as laddering up to relevance and differentiation, which is key to fully developing NAU’s brand promise and motivating its target audiences to buy in;
- differentiate NAU from its competition, based on attributes that the data tell us make the university stand out;
- extend the value of the campaign through a variety of other content-driven efforts for other touchpoints (paid, earned, shared, and owned), from recruitment outreach and marketing materials to digital communication channels;
- provide the opportunity for storytelling that confirms our students’ experience with the brand and underscores the credibility of our brand promise.
Campaign goals Accordion Closed
The goal is for Bring Your Aspirations (BYA) to become a “surround sound” basis for prospective students and their parents to put NAU into their consideration set by:
- putting a stake in the ground through a major statewide media buy that focuses on out of home assets
- reinforcing that initial burst of visibility with radio advertising after the initial launch of the campaign
A key element in the campaign is what we call the “virtuous triangle”—students and faculty interacting with the backdrop of the environment around us, including our natural, physical environment and the warm, supportive community environment the university is known for. Through this strategy, we demonstrate that the environment itself is part of the learning experience. The concept of a “supportive learning experience” can be applied to the NAU offer wherever we educate students, whether it be in Flagstaff, at a statewide campus, or online.
The out of home advertising that launched the campaign—aimed at building awareness—included these key themes. Additional creative with relevant, specific examples of how NAU is supporting the aspirations of our students brings credibility to our claims.
Using proof points and feature stories, we provide further depth to our brand position. Relevant facts and stories from current students and other NAU community members aim to resonate with prospects, subtly illustrating NAU’s differentiators—and how the university’s distinctive brand experience will help them achieve their aspirations.
University Marketing’s content repository contains a large collection of proof points such as:
- student-to-faculty ratio
- program rankings
- undergraduate research opportunities/number of student researchers
- Flagstaff and campus quality of life rankings
As an extension of the brand campaign, our “Share Your Aspirations” stories and testimonials allow students and other NAU stakeholders to share their personal stories about their time at NAU, the people who have inspired them, and why they are confident that, through their NAU education, they will be able to realize their aspirations.
We encourage you to submit stories about your own experience, or nominate others whose stories are worth sharing through our owned and shared communication channels.