Planning a student organization event
Events are a fun way to engage your club and the rest of campus. To help you plan an effective event we are here to support you.
- All club events must be pre-approved by the Office of the Dean of Students and Unions & Student Activities.
- Event requests must be submitted no later than 5 business days prior to the event.
- Note: events involving insurance or contracts can take several weeks to process
- Event request forms can be accessed through True Blue Connects.
Before you submit the event request form
Prior to submitting the form begin with the end in mind. What do you want your event to look like? Who will attend? What type of venue are you looking for? How will people find out about the event? If you need help brainstorming please feel free to set-up an individual consultation with the Student Organization Development team by emailing us at StudentOrgs@nau.edu.
Steps of the event approval process:
1) Get your advisor’s approval Accordion Closed
2) Submit an event form Accordion Closed
To start the process, you can fill out and submit an event form online through True Blue Connects by following these steps:
a) Go to nau.edu/trueblueconnects and log in using the blue button at the top.
b) Click on the name of your organization under “My Memberships” on the main page.
c) Click the “Manage Organization” button at the top right of the screen.
d) You will see the name of your organization on the top left with a menu icon (three horizontal bars) next to it. Click the menu icon and then choose “Events” from the left menu that will pop up.
e) Click the blue button that says “Create Event” on the top right to fill out the form and submit your request.
d) You must be listed on the roster and designated as an officer in order to submit the form—if you are not you will need to talk with your President to get the roster fixed or contact the Student Organization Development team if the President is not up to date. Advisers cannot submit event forms.
e) Student Unions and Activities staff will call you to schedule a meeting to go over the details of your event. If you have not heard from them within 48 hours please feel free to call them and follow-up.
3) Reserve a location for your event Accordion Closed
4) Decide if you want to serve food at your event Accordion Closed
Northern Arizona University Campus Dining has an exclusive contract for food service on the Flagstaff campus. If you are planning an event where food will be served you must contract with Campus Dining to prepare and provide the food. You can view the catering menu and place your order online. You may want to check out the “No Frills Catering” menu which is designed to be budget friendly. Catering should be ordered at least a week before your event.
If you have a special need or request or there are special circumstances such as food is being donated for your event you should work with Unions and Student Activities staff to request a waiver of the food service requirement. Waivers may be granted if the food to be served is pre-packaged and sealed, if there is no charge to attend the event, and if food will not be sold to participants. Waivers will not be granted if the food to be served is to be prepared at home or needs to maintain a certain temperature.
5) Review contract and insurance requirements for any outside speakers, performers, or equipment Accordion Closed
6) Plan for any additional event needs Accordion Closed
Unions and Student Activities staff will talk with you about additional requirements for your specific event. You may need to contact other offices or provide additional paperwork to verify that these have been taken care of. Some examples include:
- If the event involves physical risk or the potential for injury, participants may need to fill out and sign a release form; completed forms are returned to Student Unions and Activities after the event
- Some types of events may need review and approval from the NAU Police Department
- If you are showing a movie you will need a public performance license
- Equipment such as tables and chairs can be rented from Facility Services
- If you plan to sell tickets for the event you may need to do so through the Central Ticket Office