Gold Axe Awards
Each semester, Northern Arizona University recognizes seniors who have made outstanding contributions to the university in the areas of academic performance, service, leadership and participation in activities.
The seniors who are selected for their contributions will receive the prestigious Gold Axe Award. These awards will be presented at the Gold Axe Award Reception, co-sponsored by the Associated Students of NAU (ASNAU), Office of Leadership, Engagement, Activities and Peer mentoring (LEAP) and the Office of Alumni Engagement. In addition to the Gold Axe Award, the President will honor the top applicants with the President’s Prize.
Applicants who have completed at least 90 credit hours are eligible to apply for the award in their final semester. Should they be away from campus in their final semester (for internships, student teaching, etc.) they have the option of applying EITHER during their final semester or the previous term (final semester on campus), but not both.
This must be the applicant’s first bachelor degree. Applicants must also be enrolled in coursework and be able to provide documentation in order to qualify.
The application deadline for Spring 2021 is February 4th at 5 pm. Late submissions will not be accepted or reviewed. The selection committee will review all applications and all applicants will be notified whether they are or are not chosen to receive the award.
The Gold Axe application is available online. You will need to have the following prepared before submitting your application:
- Your basic information (total credits, cumulative GPA, major/college, campus, etc.)
- Clubs and/or Organizations actively participated in while at NAU
- Scholarships, awards, and/or recognitions received while at NAU
- Involvement and activities within your major’s College/School
- Activities involving service to others, such as volunteer activities
- Involvement in other activities (including multicultural events, employment, etc.) both on and off campus
- Your answer to both essay questions:
- Describe how you have stayed involved/how your involvement changed during the pandemic (e.g. virtual volunteering, virtual events, etc.).
- What accomplishment from your time at NAU are you most proud of?
- Your letter of recommendation from an NAU faculty/staff member who can best speak to your academic and cocurricular achievements
Please contact GoldAxe@nau.edu with any questions.