The Edge Leadership Experience
The Edge Leadership Experience is a unique opportunity for first-year incoming students to learn and practice leadership skills.
Program Mission/Purpose: The purpose of The Edge Leadership Experience is to provide first-year students with a four-day camp that welcomes them to campus, builds upon their leadership skills and introduces them to engagement and leadership opportunities within the University. Ultimately, The Edge Leadership Experience provides a unique opportunity for students to learn and practice leadership skills while transitioning into the college environment.
Registration is FULL
The registrations is closed, the program reached max capacity.
Dates: Aug. 06-09, 2020.
Fall 2020 Participant Schedule:
- Day 1: Thursday , Aug. 6
- Time commitment: 2:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Day 2: Friday, Aug. 7
- Time commitment: 7:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Day 3: Saturday, Aug. 8
- Time commitment: 7:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Day 4: Sunday, Aug. 9
- Time commitment: 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
Program Goals and Learning Outcomes
Goal #1: Deepen students’ understanding of their leadership identity by exploring values, strengths, and character
- Learning Outcome: Students will understand and be able to articulate what makes them a leader in their respective communities
Goal #2: Assist students discover their identity as a leader at the collegiate level through the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership and the Social Change Model of leadership
- Learning Outcome: Students will put the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership and the Social Change Model of leadership into action on campus
Goal #3: Introduce students to opportunities for leadership engagement at Northern Arizona University
- Learning Outcome: Students will participate in leadership opportunities to expand their comfort levels
Goal #4: Establish a cohort of fellow student leaders and meaningful connection at Northern Arizona University
- Learning Outcome: Students will develop a sense of belonging by cultivating lasting relationships and discovering their place at NAU
Who is involved?
100 first-year students from all backgrounds will be selected for the program. We encourage participation from students who were involved in student organizations and leadership positions in high school and from students who have not had previous opportunities but want to make leadership a part of their college experience. Upper-division students who are current student leaders serve as facilitators for the program. The Edge Leadership Experience is coordinated by Student Life.
What should I expect?
If accepted, you will be placed in a small group designed to enhance your campus connections. Small groups will participate in workshops, presentations, activities, and challenges that strengthen bonds and provide an engaging experience.
- Leadership workshops
- Team building activities
- Community service
Cancellation & Refund Policies
The Edge Leadership Experience hopes everyone who registers for the conference will be able to attend; however, the Edge Leadership Experience staff knows extenuating circumstances do occur. The Edge Cancellation and Refund Policies are as follows:
Conference Refund and Cancellation Policy
The Edge Leadership Experience Cancellation and Refund Policy will be as follows to assure consistency and is applicable to the annual camp.
- Conference registration canceled via email on or before July 15, 2020 is refundable but subject to a $15 administrative fee.
- Registrants canceling after July 15, 2020 will not receive a refund. The refund and cancellation policy will not be waived. Registration fees may be transferred to another individual; the invoice for the new registration will be revised to reflect the new registrant.
- In the event The Edge Leadership Experience must cancel the camp due to unforeseen circumstances, The Edge Leadership Experience will refund the cost of registration. However, The Edge Leadership Experience does not assume responsibility for any additional costs, charges, or expenses; to include, charges made for travel and lodging.