Terms and conditions of your card and accounts



The JacksCard itself does not expire. If you withdraw from Northern Arizona University and re-enroll at a later date, the JacksCard from previous enrollment may be used (some exclusions apply). Privileges associated with your JacksCard are based on enrollment status. Affiliate cards do expire after one year and affiliation status must be renewed with the sponsoring department before the card can be reactivated.


The JacksCard Office will not provide your personal information to any agency outside of Northern Arizona University without cardholder permission. This includes your name, picture, ID number, card number, account balances or purchasing history.


All ID cards are the property of Northern Arizona University and are provided for identification and access to services. The ID card is not transferable and is valid as long as the holder continues his/her specific affiliation with the University. Any misuse, alteration or fabrication of the JacksCard will subject the cardholder to disciplinary action by the University. Vendors must wear their JacksCard and be clearly visible at all times while on NAU campus.

Lost or stolen cards

It is important to immediately report a lost or stolen JacksCard to protect your accounts and privileges. To suspend your accounts do one of the following:

  1. Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.:  call the JacksCard Office at 928-523-1905.
  2. After hours and weekends:  Contact NAU Police Department and report your card as lost or stolen at 928-523-3611.

***If your JacksCard is lost or stolen and you need access to your residence hall, contact the front desk using the 24 hour phone located outside the main entrance. 

If you find someone else’s JacksCard, please notify us and/or bring it to the JacksCard Office.

Replacement ID cards may be obtained at the JacksCard Office during our regular business hours for a fee of $25. 

JacksDebit Express


JacksDebit Express (JDE) refunds are only granted at the time of graduation or withdrawal from the university and the account balance is greater than $25. Other requests are typically not honored, but may be handled on a case-by-case basis. Refund requests are available in office and must be submitted in person, unless an extenuating circumstance. Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.


JDE does not expire and rolls over to the next semester or academic year. Inactive students may lose funds if not enrolled in classes for three consecutive semesters.

Fund Transfers & Accidental Deposits

Requests for fund transfers from JDE to Dining Dollars or Dining Dollars to JDE will only be granted if the minimum is greater than or equal to $100 and within 5 business days of the original transaction. The amount must be the total amount from the initial deposit and cannot be spent prior to transfer. Forms are available in office.