Shared mailboxes are provided for email related to departmental, project, program or organizational needs. A shared mailbox enables a on or more individuals to share responsibility for receiving and/or sending email on behalf of an NAU department, project, program or other organization. A shared mailbox should also be utilized to associate a single, recognizable address with an organization.
Using a shared mailbox for ongoing organizational email communications has several advantages over using individual’s email.
- A shared mailbox address can be published on the web and in print, projecting an organizational image.
- A shared mailbox can be assigned an email alias that reflects its function, i.e. "Admissions@nau.edu".
- A shared mailbox remains unchanged, maintaining any saved messages, sent items, etc, when responsibility for reading and responding to email moves to a different individual.
- The manager of a shared mailbox has the ability to update mailbox user access privileges at any point in time, enabling them to make changes as staffing changes.
- User access to shared accounts is based on the individual’s username and password; no need to remember or share login information among users.
- Management of a shared mailbox may be easily transferred to a different individual when necessary.
It is recommended that a shared mailbox be requested anytime there is a need to communicate via email as a functional group rather than as an individual.
Any NAU faculty or staff member may request a shared mailbox, and access to these mailboxes can be shared among specified faculty, staff, students and affiliates.
How to Request
Contact the ITS Solution Center at 928-523-1511 to request a shared mailbox.
Instructions for accessing a shared Exchange mailbox from either Outlook Web Access (OWA) or Desktop Outlook.