Information Technology Services is proud to announce the availability of a new type of desktop computing for NAU faculty and staff: The GreenPC Thin Client. Spurred by the President’s initiative on Environmental Sustainability, we have engineered a desktop computing solution that has these benefits:
Watch this video to learn more about GreenPC Thin Clients.
- Lower cost than a traditional PC—approximately $300 without a display
- Takes very little space on your desktop—about the size of a paperback book
- Uses under 7 watts of electrical power, more than 10 times less than a typical desktop computer
- Totally silent in operation, no fans, no spinning hard drives
- Super-fast startup and shutdown—ready to work in less than 15 seconds
- No moving parts mean a longer expected working life—5-Year Warranty, 7-year expected working life
- Runs Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office for a productive and compatible computing experience
- Your documents are stored securely on ITS servers and are backed-up automatically
Try Before You Buy
If your department is interested in using GreenPC thin clients, ITS has several available as loaner systems that you can use in your department to ensure that the thin client is a good fit for your departmental needs. Call the Solution Center at 928-523-1511 to arrange a loaner for your department. ITS Thin clients can be purchased directly via the Dell Premier web site once you are comfortable that they will meet your department’s needs.
We recommend the GreenPC thin client only for information workers that don’t need access to specialty software or multi-media intensive applications.
The GreenPC Thin Client will work best if you keep the following in mind:
- It requires wired access to the NAU network
- Green PC thin clients support no more than two side-by-side displays
- We support workflows that require access to standard, widely supported applications. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Outlook, Lync and web-browser-based applications are included at no charge.
- Optional software such as Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project and others can be requested on a per-user basis by using the online form available at https://sharepoint.nau.edu/forms/gpcs
- The software available on the Thin Client is fixed; you cannot add or remove applications yourself (other than requesting them as above).
- If you access an application through a Web browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox) without running an installer, it should work fine on a Thin Client. If you need to run an installer before you first use the application, it will not.
- You can access MyNAU, Louie, Peoplesoft, Business Objects Reporting, Blackboard Learn, OnBase and many, many more.
- The Thin client has no floppy or optical (CD – DVD) drive. Your documents can be easily copied to a USB flash drive, shared through Blackboard Content Collection or emailed as attachments if you need to transport them between computers.
- You will be happier with a thin client if you have modest needs for video. The Thin Client can play most Internet video but will not perform well with high resolution video or in full-screen.
- No multimedia accessory support. – Thin clients do not support Enterprise Voice, web-cams, USB microphones or other accessories that require multimedia input or custom driver installation. A Thin Client can participate in web conferences but would not be a good choice as a host for one.
- If printing is required, your department must have a nearby networked printer. Thin clients do not support locally attached printers.
How to Request
Please call the Solution Center at 928-523-1511 to request an evaluation unit. Once you are certain that a GreenPC thin client will work well for your department's workflow, you can purchase them directly with your P-Card via the NAU Dell Premier page.
Requires a location with a high-speed wired connection to the NAU network.
Cost / Pricing
A complete GreenPC Thin Client system including keyboard, mouse, 19-inch widescreen monitor, 5-year warranty, and 3-year software maintenence costs under $475 before tax.
If you already have a monitor (VGA or DVI), or wish to buy a different size, a GreenPC Thin Client without a monitor, including keyboard and mouse, 5-year warranty, and 3-year software maintenance costs under $300 before tax.
We expect an under $40 per unit one-time charge in year three of ownership to extend the software maintenance to the end of its warranty period. No other ongoing service charges apply.
Here are some downloadable resources for the GreenPC Thin Client:
- A one page Flyer describing the GreenPC Thin Clients and their advantages over desktop computers
- A Department Compatibility Checklist to determine if a GreenPC Thin Client might be right for your department
- A Thin Client Savings Spreadsheet that graphically illustrates some of the cost and energy savings of choosing thin clients
- A Thin Client Support Document for ITS Staff, Campus IT Pros and others that need to support GreenPC Thin Clients
Virtual computing environments at NAU save energy, maintenance, and time. Discover how to connect remotely through thin clients or your computer to remote servers and networks.
ITS Green PC Thin Clients can use a special adapter cable to enable two monitors positioned side-by-side to provide the user with a larger Windows desktop stretched across both monitors. This document provides instructions for selecting and using dual displays on the ITS GreenPC Thin Client.