How to request an extension
If you are not able to finish your program by the end-date listed on your I-20, you must request an extension of your program on iNAU at least 30 days before the end-date. You should plan to speak with your academic advisor prior to submitting an I-20 extension request to discuss your situation. A recommendation from your academic advisor will be required to request an extension of your I-20. Please remember that the approval for extension requests is not guaranteed and failure to apply within a timely manner may be considered a violation of status.
You are eligible for a program extension if:
- Your I-20 has not yet expired,
- You have been continually maintaining lawful F-1 status,
- You have made normal progress throughout your degree and the delay in program completion was caused by a compelling academic or medical reason. These reasons may include:
- Medical reasons – you must submit documentation signed by MD, DO, or licensed clinical psychologist
- Change of major
- Change in research topic
- Unexpected research problems
- Other compelling academic reasons–academic advisor must specify in detail
- NOTE: delays caused by academic probation, suspensions, or failing grades are not acceptable reasons for program extensions
Evidence of additional finances according to the amounts listed at CIE – International Admissions are required to process the extension. Be sure to contact your sponsor prior to applying.
To apply for an extension, please submit a request on iNAU.